Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Between two generic canidates, who would you vote for?

Democratic Canidate
- 55 (85.9%)
Republican Canidate
- 9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: A Generic Poll  (Read 5872 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Generic Poll
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »

Prediction for the next six years:
With a black person as president, which is extremely progressive-sounding to old people, the evil racist Republicans will prevent him from making any progression, cementing the idea amongst the media vocal minority that black people are incompetent as president. Following this vein, the Republicans will usher in Palin as the first female president. The Democrats won't fillibuster the house and senate, but the Republicans will ensure her aspirations are too lofty for either side to agree on, and will cement the idea that only old, balding white men in suits can safely run the country.

Prediction for the week after:
Smigenboger moves to Australia or New Zealand, hopefully with a degree before he leaves.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2010, 10:25:33 pm »

But I'll vote against whichever uses ad hominem attacks or makes crazy promises.
So you'll be voting against everyone?

Well, whoever does it more. In my country, the government says that opposition leaders have anal sex with their employees. The opposition says that the government officials steal money from the treasury.

Both are probably lying and have minimal evidence, but because someone's sex crimes have nothing to do with their capability to do their job, I'll vote for the opposition.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2010, 01:00:32 am »

Really? My prediction for the next two years is a President who continues to overreach with his executive orders, focuses on foreign policy, makes really foolhardly unilateral concessions to other countries and tries for re-election claiming he saved us from a depression and ended two wars. I'd give Hillary Clinton a fair shot at being the next Democratic presidential canidate in 2012, running against hopefully (fingers seriously crossed) David Petraeus and Mitch Daniels as his running mate. As for Palin I expect she'll either be appointed somewhere in the executive (can you say White House Press Secretary?), but I doubt she'll win the primaries for a Presidential bid for at least a decade, maybe two. The next two years of the House I expect to be Republicans producing legislation that curtails spending even if it can't produce a budget surplus, while a coalition of Republican senators and Democratic colleagues in swing states or natural moderates pass the bills presented with a few tweaks to suit them. Then of course it arrives on Obama's desk and gets vetoed, sent back through the house and senate, and probably killed by the hard-line Democratic senators. So no, not expecting a lot of bipartisanship beyond what's politically expedient. Republicans will attempt to repeal or defund Obamacare, but it will be fought tooth and nail, and I expect if popular opposition to it remains at current levels or even rises as consequences start coming down the pipe, Obama will get hoisted by his own petard come 2012. Oh, the congressional investigations into corruption with the distribution of TARP funds and Fannie-Freddie oversight will sink numerous Democrats, at least in their primaries. Expect fresh, slightly more moderate blood if any Democrats win election over Republican seats in 2012. All in all, the country has taken a big step back to the center and while it may not get as much done as it did in the last two years, it will be doing the right thing. Of course all of this relies on the Republicans adopting the Tea Party movement's platform of shrinking Federal power. If they do the opposite we just might see that long awaited third party rise up and squash out one of the other two.

I'm sure everyone has been waiting on me to write something like this, if only to point, laugh, say I'm a fool and mock the very notion of Republicans being respectable human beings. But since Alan Grayson lost his seat by a double-digit margin, I don't think that sort of conduct wins the debate anymore.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2010, 01:28:17 am »

My prediction for the next two years is a President who continues to overreach with his executive orders, focuses on foreign policy, makes really foolhardly unilateral concessions to other countries and tries for re-election claiming he saved us from a depression and ended two wars. I'd give Hillary Clinton a fair shot at being the next Democratic presidential canidate in 2012, running against hopefully (fingers seriously crossed) David Petraeus and Mitch Daniels as his running mate.

As you once said to me, I imagine you pounded your keyboard flat, furious typing out that wall of aimless vitriol.  I also find it very heartening that you despise the current President for doing essentially the exact same things on foreign policy that the previous President did, just quieter and smarter about it, and that you hope a general who built his professional reputation on being completely apolitical to suddenly turn political to fulfill your wet-dream of vicariously ruling a military dictatorship.

I also have no idea who Alan Grayson is, and your estimation of the Senate's internal politicking is woefully uninformed, but hey, everybody's is.  It's equally heartening that you're preparing in advance to hate a hole in space through the Democratic Senate for, in your prognostication, doing exactly what the Republicans were doing for the past four years, and lauding the Republican House for, probably, gutting the Hell out of perfectly functional programs for the sake of purely symbolic budget "cuts".

God I love playing this game.  It's just so damn easy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2010, 01:29:35 am »

I just won a bet with myself on who would reply first.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2010, 01:36:35 am »

Glad I could be of service in demonstrating you're a hypocritical egomaniac with a hollow self-appointed rivalry against me.

I honestly don't have a prediction to add, having learned to stop making predictions.  The one predication I can make is that every prediction of the President race and it's candidates will be wrong (except that Obama will run for reelection, obviously), because nobody has ever predicted a new President two years out.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2010, 01:40:55 am »

Abstain.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2010, 01:50:00 am »

(Unprovoked retort, personal attack in the form of insinuation, expression of ignorance, condescension of me for perceived ignorance, speculation, half truths; all masquerading as an actual response to a post).

God I love playing this game.  It's just so damn easy.

Glad I could be of service in demonstrating you're a hypocritical egomaniac with a hollow self-appointed rivalry against me.

Likewise... have we done this before? I think we have. Its tiring. Lets do something else.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2010, 01:58:31 am »

Don't think I didn't notice that you replaced your "Not to be taken Literally" tag with "Arch-Conservative".  If you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, don't act too surprised when somebody pokes at it.  How long is this little victory lap going to last?

I've always told people that I love politics the way most people love sports.  Politics has everything you could want in sports, with real-world consequences thrown into the bargain.  And of the things politics shares with sports, the most obvious is the hordes of couch-bound facepainted fans getting way too emotionally invested in the outcome of their team's fights, having absolutely no personal effect or credit for such outcome.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:44 am »

they also both have me going "Meh"

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2010, 02:02:19 am »

Aqizzar, are you done with the personal attacks yet?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2010, 02:03:28 am »

I've always told people that I love politics the way most people love sports.  Politics has everything you could want in sports, with real-world consequences thrown into the bargain.  And of the things politics shares with sports, the most obvious is the hordes of couch-bound facepainted fans getting way too emotionally invested in the outcome of their team's fights, having absolutely no personal effect or credit for such outcome.

"Did you watch the game last Tuesday?"
"Yeah, man!  The Blues took a beating, but the season's not over yet."
... and so on ...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2010, 02:05:13 am »

Aqizzar, are you done with the personal attacks yet?

What exactly did I say that offended you?  Was it the criticisms of your predictions?  Your attitude?  Your reaction to me being the first person to respond to your post?  I'd love to hear an explanation for how those are personal attacks.  I don't hate you, I just find a lot of things you say easy to criticize.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2010, 02:07:46 am »

I find a lot of things you say better left ignored. Goodnight.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]