Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room Layouts.  (Read 1015 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Room Layouts.
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:24:03 pm »

I think I'm getting better at making layouts for rooms, nothing fancy like the fractal ones I've seen, but still good!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The chained rooms will go to nobles (bedroom, study/dining room, grave)
the smallest rooms will go to children
And the normal 2x2 rooms will go to the rest.

Also, please post your layouts, the wiki is severely lacking in schematics.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Room Layouts.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:27:39 pm »

It all depends on what you want to go for in a given fortress, or how 'cooshy' you want yoru dwarves rooms to be.

For me a 2x3 room with 6 spaces allows for the most versitility as it has space for a Bed, Chest, Table, Chair and Cabnet.
That means you can give someone an office a dinning room and a place for their items in a compact place size.

I only use 2x2 rooms in forts where I need to dig fast or I know there wont be much time for luxories.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

Seems like an excessive amount of nobles rooms, once you expand this out further for more dwarves.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:37:33 pm »

Seems like an excessive amount of nobles rooms, once you expand this out further for more dwarves.

There are also in case of an impending tantrum spiral.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 03:47:24 pm »

I tend to go with stacking rooms, to try and keep things neat and tidy.
Here's the general layout, though, it varies quite a bit from fort to fort.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:42 pm »

Every fort I build usually ends up with a a few z levels of rooms that have up/down stairs leading through them which is quite space efficient and I arrange the rooms into an interesting pattern.  I usually shoot for 2x3 or larger for the general populace, 3x4 or larger for nobility.  Once these are smoothed and engraved, almost anyone will be very happy at having a room.  Once they are furnished, the population is ecstatic (or just fine for when the Fun with clowns starts and everything is rotting.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 07:49:05 pm »

Nobles and starting seven all have exotic suites, usually 5*7. They get a bed, a dyed and decorated bag, a cabinet, and a multi-tile table with a few chairs. They also get elaborately engraved tombs. As I progress in the game, I try to make all their furniture made out of iron or steel.

Valuable dwarves, like non-starting-seven legendaries, get 3*3 rooms, with a bed, cabinet, and a chest.

Everyone else gets 2*3 rooms in the slums, sometimes with a low-quality chest or closet.

The Mayor gets a 3*3 room, but I really go overboard on the office. The Mayor's office has a waiting room with wall-to-wall fishtanks, and then a door leading to his private office, where he has an obsidian or mahogany desk.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »

I've adapted the windmill design for nobles- I could still tile it but the rooms encroach a little more into the lobby areas.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »

I use blocks of 3x3 four rooms, with 2-tile wide corridors linking them. The standard bedroom gets a bed, a chest, a cabinet and one engraving; my beautification efforts tend to be concentrated on communal areas. Nobles get two standard bedrooms knocked together and done up a bit more elaborately, and I tend to combine their bedroom, office and private dining room within one room. I can't remember if the baron/baroness consort still requires a separate allocation in .31, but in 40d I'd also just put two beds in there.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

konzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:28 pm »

I like to move into the third dimension. for standard rooms I use a windmil desing. thiese can  the next one over will be rotated 90-degrees. Usually I will do for of these in a square pattern and put a dining hall in the middle of the stack with one or two levels of rooms above and below it.

####
 #b_#####
 #f_#hfb#
 #hd#d__#
####X####
#__d#dh#
#bfh#_f#
#####_b#
    ####

where
# = rock (nornmally all smothed)
_ = floor
b = bed
f = cabinet
h = coffer
d = door

this leaves me with two floor spaces that I could use for additional posessions when the need arises.