Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Fan: First Question  (Read 2235 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: New Fan: First Question
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 01:09:54 am »

In the last version that I played (it's been a while) it was only necessary to have mud for UNDERGROUND farms. Above-ground farms should work just fine on any kind of soil. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 01:33:10 am »

Aboveground farms say that they require mud, but yeah, they work just fine regardless,  as long as they're on soil.

MorbidMorvick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:16:42 pm »

@LordDakoth Yeah I have a couple of above ground farms, but I guess my problem is that I am trying to keep a steady supply of plants, which I am guessing I need to do some crop-rotation or assign more dwarves or something to do farming.

Massive amounts of Stone
In order to address the issue of the massive amounts of stone laying around, I have setup certain areas underground but mostly above ground where I am simply hauling stone to, so above ground is a cluttered mess of stone. But I am getting ride of it slowly by building lots of fortifications and making items out of it.

I am also working on both setting up a underground farm area, plus a reservoir and wells so I can survive during winter when the river freezes and my dwarves don't like drinking the same booze all the time, which the additional farming area should help with. Thanks again for the warm welcome and suggestions, I definitely appreciate it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 12:43:25 am »

You should start a megaproject. Building massive, overcomplicated, and thoroughly pointless constructions is the true spirit of Dwarf Fortress! Accidentally flooding the bottom half of your fort is almost like a rite of passage.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:36 am »

You should start a megaproject. Building massive, overcomplicated, and thoroughly pointless constructions is the true spirit of Dwarf Fortress! Accidentally flooding the bottom half of your fort is almost like a rite of passage.
Preferably a magma flood if at all possible.  ;) Damn my acursed map wide aquifier took me years to pierce it with a large stairwell, so alas i can't dump magma on the 70+ vile forces of darkness hovering outside my walls my forts not really a mountain home more flat plain castle with most of the used area dug out of compact peat and black sand. Still all in good fun. :D
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 07:08:44 pm »

about your stone issue you can store it all in one tile by using a quantum garbage dump
Press d-b-d to get to the mass dump/forbid screen and select the 'dump' option. With 'dump' selected, create a rectangle over all the looses stone cluttering up your living area. This will designate this stone to be transported to an activity area marked as 'garbage dump' Note that garbage is not the same thing as refuse. Refuse is rotting stuff. Garbage is anything you designate to be hauled to a garbage area, even important things that aren't really garbage. Think of your garbage areas as a way to specify that objects you select will be brought to a specific area. Unlike storage areas where you are limited to storing one object per tile, any number of items may be piled in a garbage area. That means you will only need one tile to hold as much garbage as you like. Designate a one tile garbage area near your masons and mechanics workshops. Once the stone from your living area has been moved there, it will be set as forbidden. You will need to unforbid it using the same 'd-b' screen, hitting 'c' to claim it instead of 'd' to dump it.

thats a quote from the quickstart guide since quantum garbage dumps aren't explained anywhere else for some reason

Edit: just remembered, a garbage dump is a zone that has garbage dump enabled. it can be one by one tile preferably next to your mason or craftsdwarf
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:12:08 pm by jellow belly »
The reward you get for digging holes is a bigger shovel.
Pages: 1 [2]