Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high cpu large resolution ubuntu  (Read 505 times)

Nhdb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
high cpu large resolution ubuntu
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:21:49 pm »

Hi!

I downloaded the latest version of DF for linux (Ubuntu Maverick 10.10) and I noticed the cpu is very high when idle (game paused or when in main menu). When I resize the sdl-screen to small the cpu does not have a lot to do but when I resize the screen to something larger the cpu is being stressed a lot mainly by Xorg.org I think.

DwarfFortress itself uses about 30-35% cpu and X.org 20-25% when the game is paused.
When in main menu X.org uses 20-25% and dwarffortress almost nothing.

I have a duo 2 core 2.2Ghz processor and a nvidia quadro videocard. I have installed the nvidia drivers (glxgears runs smoothly) but also without these drivers I have the same problem.

I understood that DF should not be more cpu heavy on larger resolutions, so what could be the problem? Or is this normal behaviour?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:38:34 pm by Nhdb »

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: high cpu large resolution ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

Well if I remeber correctly, while the windows version is OpenGl based, the Mac and Linux/Unix versions are infact actually text based. Is that still the case?

Nhdb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:56:26 pm »

Nope the linux version is also an SDL window. And I can't find a linux text based based on the latest version. The game is playable though altough the framerate could be higher I think.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:59:19 pm »

That's odd. I actually get better performance through wine than I normally get through windows.
I play Genesis and there's no linux version of that, not that I need it.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)