Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about 40d  (Read 598 times)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about 40d
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:14:31 am »

40d is an older version of DF,right?
I see its quite popular,why?Is it better then the current ver,what are the differences

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
Re: Question about 40d
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:28:53 am »

I think it's a mixture of guys already had fortress in 40d and don't want to abandon them, also that it's alot less buggy than more recent versions. Personally I play both (Cloisteredwood is a 40d Fortress for e.g.) but I think that more recent versions are alot more Fun.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:32 am »

I've three main reasons I play 40d still.
I've actually got forts to explore in adventure mode, not enough of my current ones have exploded in FUN.
I much prefer the permanent military structure of 40d, I get some issue with job cancellation spam currently.
Glass weapon traps. (megaproject of a glass fortress defended by glass traps, and a pure crossbow military)

Generally I play 2010 now though. Embarks have a lot more interesting features and burrows are fantastic.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:38:00 am »

I much prefer the permanent military structure of 40d,

Yeah that's another thing, if I had my current fortress in 2010 (Pop. 149, 40 of whom are soldiers) then it'd probably be destroyed by now cause the military stuff in 40d is just set squads, set stations & patrol routes, set whether they carry food what weapons they have etc. then just rotate them being on duty & off duty every know & again
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:10:09 am »

I play both versions as well. 2010 has so much more interesting features than 40d and searching for good embark site is less pain in the butt, one reason being the guaranteed magma. In 40d, to find site with flux, iron ore AND magma is very tedious and irritating process, and usually there is about 0-5 such locations in single map, depending on how big embark size you use.

On the other hand, you don't have to worry about hitting caverns in middle of your bedroom area in 40d. But then again you have less floor to use in 40d, I think the norm is 15 levels bellow the ground.

Setting up early farms is much easier in 40d, as no irrigation is needed. At times muddying in 2010 gets to my nerves, as I have to carefully plan where I put my farms, take in to account the water sources while embarking and so on. No such hassle in 40d.

40d has less bugs, especially when considering nobility. All the nobles work as meant, so you can actually get that Dungeon Master.

2010 introduces hospitals, which WILL safe your soldiers from certain deaths (well, certain death in 40d) most of the time, though due bugs it's not promised.

The military went big overhaul, in 40d it's much faster to make more or less working military, but on the other hand in 2010 the military is much more efficient. And no unneeded deaths from sparring anymore. Also, equipment handling is better in 2010 as soon as you learn to use it. In 40d organizing equipment to squads meant forbidding/dropping/locking combinations to get the military wear the equipment you wanted, and still it was not guaranteed. In 2010 you can assign the squad to have steel equipment, and they will go and get steel equipment most of the time. Again due bugs they may mess up with their equipment, like not removing old equipment and so on. Also no more kills with just wrestling in 2010, which I think is good thing.

So, to summarize, I play both versions, depending on my mood and what I want from my fortress.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:23:28 am »

40D is less buggy, and most players learned to play on it. The military is easier to cope with, and it WORKS.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.