Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golden Short Sword  (Read 1271 times)

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golden Short Sword
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:05:14 am »

My broker went into a mood, and pumped out a Gold Short Sword.

Has anyone got any info on how good Gold is for this type of weapon?

Gold is pretty heavy and soft irl, but I'm unsure how it's represented in game.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Short Sword
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:22:53 am »

It's represented exactly the same way in-game as it is IRL: pretty useless. Perfect for arming your nobles with!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:13:50 am »

haha yeah my weapons smith made a gold battle axe :P worth a good amount for trading though :D hmmm on the subject how good would platinum weapons and Armour be? 
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:17:03 am »

hmmm on the subject how good would platinum weapons and Armour be?
I ask this myself, one of my armor smiths made an artifact platinum shield and I wonder if should give it to one of my dwarves or give them one the bronze shields instead.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:03 am »

Platinum is infact the very pinacle in blunt weaponry thanks to its weight...and as said in DF as it as now...a shield is a shield
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:54 am »

So wait, there's no practical difference between a wooden shield and a steel one? What about bucklers? Does size of shield affect chance to block or anything?

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:15 am »

From the current tournament thread, yes. Size of shield seems to mean quite a bit, actually. Bucklers don't block anywhere near as much as full-size shields.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:59:16 am »

Golden hammers are probably quite effective indeed. All that weight...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:26:23 pm »

I ask this myself, one of my armor smiths made an artifact platinum shield and I wonder if should give it to one of my dwarves or give them one the bronze shields instead.

Since it's an artifact, doesn't it automatically work regardless of the material it's made from?

So wait, there's no practical difference between a wooden shield and a steel one? What about bucklers? Does size of shield affect chance to block or anything?

Size does, but since weapons aren't breakable it doesn't really matter.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 05:07:18 pm »

Hmm, in the fights I ran the results imply the material matters, although that wasn't apparent from the messages. Weight is another issue though... at first I thought losing the use of the second hand for the weapon mattered because otherwise good gear and no shield tended to be better than the same gear with copper or iron shields; featherwood ones never appeared to be a liability though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 05:22:23 pm »

Having a heavier weapon/shield may decrease the speed of a dwarf, meaning it gets to attack less than a faster opponent.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:58:03 pm »

Yes, as an artifact it does automatically work despite it's material.  Sort of.  In the previous version, at least.

The exact mechanics are unknown (to my knowledge) since the weapon revamps in the latest version, but what it used to be is that everything's effectiveness was expressed in a % based on iron.

Wood/Silver/Other Materials were 50% as effective as a similar item made of iron.  A masterful items was 200% more effective than a no-quality iron weapon, and ab artifact was also at least twice as effective (it was a bit muzzy even in the better understood version).  So you have 1 (iron, the base value) * .5 (for being a non-weapon material) * 2 (for being artifact) = 1, or just as good as iron.  So that lead artifact sword was pretty much just as good as an iron sword (except for the ill-understood artifact bonuses that weren't a straight-up multiplier).  So you'd be better off with a no-quality steel sword (1 * 1.2 for steel = 1.2x), or, even better, use that newly legendary weapon smith to make masterful steel weapons (1 * 1.2 for steel * 2 for quality = 2.4x better than no-quality iron), and blow that artifact sword out of the water.

In the new version, we know that bludgeoning weapons are better when heavy (woe to the artifact funmetal hammer forger, for it weighs little, all glory to the gold warhammer of DOOM!), and we know that edge values are actually tracked, so certain metals are better for edges than others, so it's not the simplistic "well, steel is better than iron, so it does 20% more damage, regardless of the weapon" model.

So in answer to your question:  We have no bloody idea.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:09:36 pm »

Perfect for arming your nobles with!

Quick question: how do you arm your nobles? Unless this sort of thing has changed rather drastically in version .31, that's as impossible as it is useless. I guess maybe that was your idea of a joke.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

Woe to the artifact funmetal hammer forger, for it weighs little, all glory to the gold warhammer of DOOM
A Bluemetal hammer would be the perfect thing for a hammerer, if they weren't bugged this version.

"Feel the cold, hard embrace of DWARVEN JUSTICE!"
*PUNT*
"...WTF?"