Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wooden spikes. Are they really worth it?  (Read 8132 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden spikes. Are they really worth it?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 01:45:45 am »

Would it be overkill to make a retractable bridge over a set of menacing steel wooden spikes and then flood the pit with magma?

Menacing steel wooden spikes?  I think you have to choose between one or the other but honestly if you're going to flood the pit with magma why bother putting spikes down there?  Injured or not they're still burn.  [unless you're worried about magma immune stuff getting in there, in which case I think you want the best non-candy spikes you can get]
Cage traps are my magma.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 01:53:17 am »

Would it be overkill to make a retractable bridge over a set of menacing steel wooden spikes and then flood the pit with magma?

There is no such thing, Good Sir.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 03:58:02 am »

Obviously, they are wooden spikes that menace with steel. Impaling squad after squad of hopeless enemies is all cool, but that doesn't win the psycological war.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 04:06:38 am »

To answer the question, No. This is dwarf fortress, dropping the sun on an enemy and then dropping all the moons of the world, and then jumping up and down on the pieces before feeding them into a woodchipper isn't overkill.
*Hugs*

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 06:43:55 am »

I Wanna Be The Dwarf?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 06:48:17 am »

...You're joking, right? In DF, there is no overkill, only "Open Fire" and "OMG my dwarves just all died!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 07:26:32 am »

Even wooden training spears do take their toll, but the toll is small enough that its a worthwhile training proceedure.

You sure? Could be that I never enabled my training rooms before giving my dwarfs steel armour, but I never had any of them getting wounded from the training spears.

Their pet cats on the other hand...

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:56 am »

I Wanna Be The Dwarf?

Just as frustrating, but far more Fun.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 09:07:50 am »

deflector sheild
That's why I hate Elves so much more.
My marksdwarves always run up to them and try to smash them to death with their crossbow, resulting in 'the silk robe deflected the blow' or 'brusing'.
I used it to train the amr strneght of my marksdwarves as soon as the elf was bashed into a corner and left him there. Most of the marksdwarves collapsed from exhaustion and were taken to hospital as reaaally buff roid-dwarves from smacking and elf into a croner for a whole season.
Pages: 1 [2]