Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Guard requirements  (Read 1592 times)

c4rb0nd8r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fortress Guard requirements
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:34:43 am »

I couldn't find anything on search and wiki page is nonexistent, but is there still a requirement for a fortress guard?

I seem to remember it being 1/10 of your population in 40d, but it was also included in your Justice panel. I don't see it there anymore, only the jail cell requirement.

If it is still 1/10th, I assume the Mayor still is not happy if its not met?

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Guard requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:45:26 am »

I couldn't find anything on search and wiki page is nonexistent, but is there still a requirement for a fortress guard?

I seem to remember it being 1/10 of your population in 40d, but it was also included in your Justice panel. I don't see it there anymore, only the jail cell requirement.

If it is still 1/10th, I assume the Mayor still is not happy if its not met?

I don't know if it's really a requirement, but my Mayor took it upon himself to kill the criminals when no sheriff was available for a few years and the criminals just kept piling up.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:44:12 am »

I think you will have to go over the pop count of 80 or something.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:15:02 pm »

There are no more min fortress guard requirements.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:09:20 am »

Opps my bad. Sry for the misinfo

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:59:06 am »

Sheriff/Captain of the Guard are responsible for dwarven justice in 0.31.xx. The Captain of the Guard can have a normal militia squad with as many or as few dwarves as you like. Once you get more than 50 dwarves the Sheriff position is upgraded automatically to Captain of the Guard.

If you don't appoint one, you can ignore mandates as no one will get punished since there's no one to give out beatings or lock people into jail. I think nobles get unhappy thoughts if people aren't punished for not fulfilling their mandates though so you may get berserk mayors, baron/count/duke, etc.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:45 am »

Sheriff/Captain of the Guard are responsible for dwarven justice in 0.31.xx. The Captain of the Guard can have a normal militia squad with as many or as few dwarves as you like. Once you get more than 50 dwarves the Sheriff position is upgraded automatically to Captain of the Guard.

If you don't appoint one, you can ignore mandates as no one will get punished since there's no one to give out beatings or lock people into jail. I think nobles get unhappy thoughts if people aren't punished for not fulfilling their mandates though so you may get berserk mayors, baron/count/duke, etc.

Right but with one correction. The squad assigned to the Captain of the Guard is not a normal militia squad. Each one is an officer. This is easily provable just look through your justice list and look at the officer assigned, it won't always be your CoG as it can be anyone from his squad.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

jawn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:14:25 am »

um... not quite sure I understand this. Do I have to tell the fortress guard squad what to do? It's got schedule, etc, just like every other militia squad. Do I just leave it to active/train or even inactive so they do their own patrol/justice stuff?

How do I rename the squads btw?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:21:32 am »

They'll do their justice job no matter what orders they're on, or none at all. You could keep them training, or treat them like regular civilians.

jawn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:28:11 am »

good.. thanks.

what about renaming the squad? atm it's sort of stuck amongst all the other normal squads (aside from when inside the military screen where it's at the top).