Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st Trade Caravan - How do I cancel all jobs or prioritize Haul to trading post?  (Read 2035 times)

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a lot of crafts but unfortunately not a lot of bins.  So I have a ton of hauling to do.  Do I have to cancel each of the other jobs individually to get all this hauling done before the end of the month?
Ancient Avatar

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately there's no way to prioritize jobs, yet. So, yes, you may need to cancel or suspend some job. It really depends on how many idle dwarves you have, how big is your map, how many things you have to haul.

I usually have no problems after the first couple of years anyway, there's always someone doing nothing and I order the hauling as soon as the caravan is announced.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rather than cancelling every job, you might find it more expeditious to simply forbid one of the materials each of your workshops is made of. Dwarves won't do jobs at forbidden workshops, so those shops won't eat labor anymore, and your quenes won't be broken. Just remember to unforbid them after you're finished hauling!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

Another option is to simply disable all skills on everyone with Dwarf Therapist, then once all your junk is in the depot, re-enable the skills and let the fort resume operation as normal.  And if you aren't playing with dwarf therapist, you are making things extremely difficult for yourself and should get it.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

burrow over the depot and desired stockpiles.
It pays to have the stockpiles ringed around the depot and workshops ringed around the stockpiles  8)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks all!  Always nice to play a game with a cool community.
Ancient Avatar

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like you don't have enough dedicated haulers around (low population/no immigrants/whatever), or your first Caravan and you didn't get the Depot built in time.  It seems to be that hauling to/from a Depot has a high priority, so your haulers will do that before other hauling jobs. 

Like others have said, start the Depot filling process as soon as the Caravan is announced, and keep hauling in stuff until the moment they leave (infinite storage at Depot for the next Caravan to come).  There's also no reason you couldn't do partial trades at the Depot for what's arrived, then another Trade as more stuff comes in (your Appraiser/Trader gets more experience that way).  Unless you're really desperate for Food/Booze, missing one Trade opportunity isn't that devastating, in that case, doing a Trade for what has been hauled should get you the basic items you're looking for.

Another easy way to get everyone involved, is to just go around and cancel all the jobs you have at the workshops (or Suspend the buildings themselves), as long as all of those dwarfs employed at the workshops have hauling enabled.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:21:05 pm by GJScarritt »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

and keep hauling in stuff until the moment they leave (infinite storage at Depot for the next Caravan to come)
This is not true, I've seen them taking items OFF the depot after the caravan has left. The only time anything got left on the depot is when those stuff have no piles to go to
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My apologies, but I did specify 'Until the moment they leave'. To be honest though, since they seem to stick around a day or so after the notice they've left, I have no idea if it's possible to keep hauling in (or IE - trading) until they actually set foot out of the Depot, so they could actually be packing up during that last day or so.  I do know it takes them a few days to 'Unpack' once they arrive, so you can't trade but you can haul in, I'll try to check next time to see if the option is still there even after the official notice appears.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

My apologies, but I did specify 'Until the moment they leave'. To be honest though, since they seem to stick around a day or so after the notice they've left, I have no idea if it's possible to keep hauling in (or IE - trading) until they actually set foot out of the Depot, so they could actually be packing up during that last day or so.  I do know it takes them a few days to 'Unpack' once they arrive, so you can't trade but you can haul in, I'll try to check next time to see if the option is still there even after the official notice appears.
After they say "The traders from <foo> have embarked on their journey" or something you can no longer set stuff to be brought to the depot. I've also found that the seem to take longer to pack up their crap and actually embark after announcement if you leave too many stuff on the depot. I'm not sure if the stuff they already own count toward this hidden *CLT* It's not uncommon for mine to take over a month to pack up...

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does
For example, if you mod the mules to increase their carrying capacity by another magnitude or 2, they can take longer the unpack then they have time to trade, net result meaning they unpack, and then pack up again, cause they've used up their time
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

going offtopic here...
1) Is the amount of traders coming to the fortress capped or it'd scale as much as profit allow
2) Is unpacking weight-dependent or it's also influenced by the amount of goods
3) Would it pack up faster if there're more traders, assuming that amount of goods needed for packing the same
4) How's the amount of traders determined? Goods are calculated then split among them, or it'd calculate how many traders'd arrive and squeeze goods on them.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

for number 2
time spent packing is ENTIRELY based upon how many items they brought with them and its overall weight has no effect

as for the trader questions I never really noticed
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually do, if necessary:
o -> Options, r-> Refuse, -> Disable/ignore all refuse, ignore wood, stone, ignore furniture, animals, etc.
Also forbid all dead and all death items. And put all military squads out of active service. Also lock doors and block access to unnecessary areas
if nobody is outside/there. Also limit dorfs to burrow might help forcing all dorfs to take pickup jobs instead.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.