Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress, Legends, Adventurer, How to use?  (Read 1263 times)

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress, Legends, Adventurer, How to use?
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:24:57 am »

Hey all,
I've been around for quite a while and read lots of people talking about legends of their land and going to their fortress in adventurer mode, but I have never been able to use any of these features myself.
Is it possible to adventure a fortress which I have not abandoned? How do I check Legends on my fortress?
Also, is there and how do I know the population cap of my fortress?
Greetz!
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress, Legends, Adventurer, How to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:13:51 am »

You need to abandon to check legends and adventure. And the pop cap is defined in d_init, I think
*Hugs*

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:06 am »

I am currently away from my DF but if I find my popcap insatisfactory can I change it without having to generate a new world all together?
And if I concurrently create fortresses around the same world will I be able to trade with my own fortresses or do fortresses that get abandoned just get all ghosty?
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:34:58 am »

I don't know about the pop cap, but when you abandon a fortress, everyone inside either dies or leaves, so you can't trade with them, no.
*Hugs*

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:22:46 am »

I've read that fortresses which have become a mountainhome (by attracting the king) will continue to exist, all other fortresses will be empty. Not confirmed though, since I didn't test it myself.
You can also copy your whole save file, abandon the copy too look up legends and keep on playing the original. It will be to different worlds, but at least you can keep your fortress.

The pop cap can be changed any time. You only need to exit DF, change the init and restart - changing it while DF is running won't work. In DF 40d, changes only took effect after the next caravan/liason visited your fort. Don't know if it's still like that.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:29:17 am »

The dwarfs all hang around, but the fort doesn't function, and all dwarfs give homeless responses ("Ask me when i've returned to my home!!")
*Hugs*

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:38 am »

For reference, the easiest way to check out your (abandoned) fortress in adventure mode is to choose "Play NOW" immediately after abandonment. You will now get a no-skills human who spawns at the fortress itself with most of the dwarves just about to leave for wherever they'll go to.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.