Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I get rid of the new engravings?  (Read 587 times)

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I get rid of the new engravings?
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:15:07 pm »

I use the Mike Mayday tileset, and after upgrading to the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, I noticed that engravings are now icons of what the engravings are, instead of just a normal wall with a different coloring. While this is an interesting feature and I can see how people would enjoy it, I don't enjoy it very much at all. Is there any way I can disable this?

Also just a side note, has the Mayday set changed it's O character? I remember it being a little more detailed, and it looked better in constructions.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get rid of the new engravings?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:04 pm »

There should be an option to hide engravings in the (d)esignations menu, as for #2 I don't use a tileset, so I dunno.
*Hugs*

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 06:19:33 pm »

The "O" character for free-standing smooth walls can be customized in d_init.txt - [PILLAR_TILE:'O'].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »

Thanks guys!

Also, is it possible to engrave on constructed walls?

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »

Nope you can't engrave on constructed walls. That would be too beautyfull (ahh finally having engraved ONE COLOR rooms)
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

Nope.

Actually, engravings have looked that way by default for a long time (since the 2D version, probably). The difference is that Mike Mayday's graphics set comes with its own init file instead of directions on what bits of the init file to change to get the graphics to work, so you get the settings Mike Mayday uses when you use his graphics set. Maybe he changed that recently.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:53:49 pm »

As of when i last checked (please correct me) there is no 'official' .16 Mayday set.  He seemed to drop from his thread a bit and some fans made DIY versions (which were even bundled into LazyNewb pack).  This could explain slight differences you see.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:57:44 pm »

I actually did not use Mike's d_init and init files. I'm on a Mac, so I ported DFG to that. I didn't want to completely overwrite my init files with his in case .16 has some new things.