Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blackrock Depths Megaproject  (Read 3828 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blackrock Depths Megaproject
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:43:24 am »

This is a horrible stupid idea and will eat my very soul, but nonetheless I am attempting to create the entirety of BRD in dwarf fortress. To my immense shame I have a near perfect recollection of the entire place, and with the exception of few changes of angles and such to accommodate the low resolution of DF digging and avoiding switching z levels too many times. I welcome all input, especially advice.

I wasted many hours setting up a basic digging theory that doesn't account for any of the roof expanding, chasm digging, or magma channeling. The primary problem as of right now is that I ran out of space near the end and  wound up reflecting the last section of the fortress, ruling out the possibility of doing C too while I'm at it. I will be damned if I will start over again on a bigger map, but if there is a way to copy and paste dig assignments from one map to another I would love hear about it, so I could satisfy my OCD and do this right.

Here is the DFMA link of what I've done so far
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9789-brd

This is a basic map of BRD for those unfamilliar with it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Depths Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:48 am »

Oh, Fun, I remember that place. It's a damned maze.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:05:52 am »

Attach Molten Core, Blackrock Spire and Blackwing Lair, too. You know you want to.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:10:41 am »

DF dwarves ARE pretty evil. Bonus points if everything in there works as it should. Like the area, tavern, safe, etc. It actually plans out to be a pretty functional fortress, except the inefficiency of the place...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:21:20 am »

As far as copying dig assignments across.....

I dont think theres anyway to copy what youve already designated on screen, but with a bit of patience you could knock up a QuickFort blueprint for the design which you can then 'paste' into a new map.

Incidentally, awesome idea.  I never saw all the way to the end of BRD...place was so big i dont think i ran the thing in its entirety despite 3-4 years of gaming
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:33:19 am »

I was a great fan of Blackrock Depths, it was huge, generally non-linear, and I'm pretty sure that out of everyone on any server I played on back in the day I logged the most hours there. I am not joking when I say I can pretty much remember every pull in the place.

As far as modeling MC, I want to but I ran out of space.

As far as modeling BRS and BWL, neither of those zones actually fit in blackrock  mountain, if I had a map where the volcano is twice-three times as wide I might be able to do it. The real crux of the matter is LBRS to be honest, it nests itself in pretty tightly so sizes are fairly important and online maps are fairly useless.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

BRD was one of my favorite instances, but it was nigh impossible to get a competent good group together for a full run.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:35:21 pm »

My main problem with BRD is that the color is really grating on my eyes.  I know, it sounds girly, but it is physically tiring for me to do a full clear after dying more than a few times.