Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amount of potash needed for fertilization  (Read 728 times)

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Amount of potash needed for fertilization
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:03:26 am »

I don't see it mentioned in the wiki. Do you need a unit of potash for each tile of a plot (so 25 for a 5x5), or just one unit of potash to fertilize the whole plot?

In anticipation of some comments: Yes, I am fertilizing. No, it may not be totally necessary. And yet.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amount of potash needed for fertilization
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:06:43 am »

I've got plots of roughly 6x6 and when I set them to be fertilised and I'm out of potash I've found setting up a couple of potash jobs at the ashery will produce enough to allow the fertilisation job to be re-scheduled. Quite possibly only of those units is actually used, I've never checked to see how much potash is left after, but you don't seem to need to produce bins full of the stuff.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:22:53 am »

I think that it may be one unit per three tiles. my 3x3 plots seem to use three units.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:58 am »

The formula is 1+number of tiles/4, rounded down. So it's most effective to make plots with sizes that are just below a multiple of 4, i.e. 3,7,11,15, etc. I prefer 3x5 plots myself, which require 4 fertilizers.

And if your goal is big stacks of food, fertilizing is very much worth it.

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »

The formula is 1+number of tiles/4, rounded down. So it's most effective to make plots with sizes that are just below a multiple of 4, i.e. 3,7,11,15, etc. I prefer 3x5 plots myself, which require 4 fertilizers.

This is great information, thanks a lot.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:24:20 pm »

Would that be (1+n)/4, or 1+(n/4)?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:42:45 pm »

It's the same formula used for building materials for roads and bridges - one unit for 1-3 tiles, two units for 4-7, three units for 8-11, four units for 12-15, etc., which is floor((n+1)/4) or ceil(1 + n/4).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.