Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching those hippos  (Read 1490 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catching those hippos
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:10:12 am »

well for trying to find new ways ..

what do you veterans suggest as a method to catch water based animals  for taming (esp. hippos and crocs .. maybe carps and stuff too)

i cant figure out a way  besides draining the river
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:15:13 am by schussel »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catching those hippos
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:39:59 am »

Hippos actually come out of the water, they're not too hard to catch.  For fish, you can divert the water in some way and build traps on the water/lake bottom, and let the water back in.  Freezing embark areas make this a lot easier.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:10:17 am »

Try putting cage traps along the edge of the river. Or chain up a bait animal and surround him with cage traps.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:38:26 am »

Hippos aren't agressive, they won't react to a bait animal - might work for crocodiles though!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:58:48 am »

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:22:30 am »

well for trying to find new ways ..

what do you veterans suggest as a method to catch water based animals  for taming (esp. hippos and crocs .. maybe carps and stuff too)

i cant figure out a way  besides draining the river

Hippos do come on land occasionally, but I haven't been able to tame any of them in .16 vanilla. - I don't have a dungeon master, but do have a duke. Elephants are tamed ok.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:49:40 am »

well i modded the game with unexotic or what it was called .. till the DM is coming back ^^
i rigged the whole riverside with cagetraps now .. now i only get warthogs and lions .. (ok latters in a female/male pair .. yay breeding :)) no elefants so far too :/

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 08:57:35 am »

From the hippo's raw entry:
Code: [Select]
[BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
[BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_BRACKISHWATER]
[BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
[BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_BRACKISHWATER]
[BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 02:47:56 pm »

sure .. the fact is they were there on gamestart now theres only milkfishes in the water and warthogs and lions outside ^^ maybe i gotta kill off the fishes with soldiers :) 3 fishermen somehow dont get this job done ...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

What fishermen catch is totally separate to fish you actually see on the map. You'll need something like a flood of war dogs or maybe some swimming soldiers. More drastic solutions are always available of course - from magma to cave-in bombing.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 05:04:43 pm »

funny thing about hippos .. i see em in lots of embarks  .. at the beginning .. in all last embarks with tropical rivers .. they are exiastent when the game starts .. run off .. and never reappear again ..  instead there are hordes (literally) of warthogs or elephants .. latest game just from my hippotraps on the rivers edge i got about 40 elephants sofar in the 5th year