Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Ignoring Workshop  (Read 734 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Ignoring Workshop
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

I've been really frustrated at this, until at least I've concluded it was a bug. I've been having a problem for days now getting my dwarves to consistently make weapons or armor, despite having tons and tons of charcoal and metals for them to do it with. Recently one of my Metalsmiths went Strange Mood, and just stood around until he went insane. So I got suspicious, set about half the dwarves in my fortress to metalsmith, and tried to get someone to make something - anything - at it.

Nothing.

Then I ordered it to be deconstructed about half an hour ago, nothing. Its in a perfectly clear area (there is a path to it), and I've had things built there before.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Ignoring Workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

"Recently one of my Metalsmiths went Strange Mood, and just stood around until he went insane"

Alright now I know this part wasn't a bug... When someone goes into a Strange mood and takes over a workshop, they will stay there until they have all the resources they need to build their object. If they don't have... lets say Shell or Silk... They will eventually just go mad.

Edit Addition: Hmmm... I think you know this part... so ignore it... I am really sleepy right now (that is the excuse I am sticking with)

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:04:00 am »

No. He did not enter the workshop, he stood outside in the waiting room as if he had no worshop. His strange mood also had to be a metalsmith mood, as metalsmithing was his highest skill. Even if dwarves /didn't/ always SM with their highest skill, I had all the workshops anyways.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

Did the layout of the Workshop have room to enter?

Some shops contain Benches and other objects that can block entrances.

This would pretty much end my inquiry in which case... Yeah you have a bug

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:15:00 am »

Well, this wouldn't explain why you can't make items at that forge, but 50% of the time a metalsmith will require a magma forge.  I think its possible they'll even want one on maps without magma :/  So that could be why he refused to claim the forge you had...

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

Yes, they have room to enter. Yes, they have made items before. No, its /not just the moody dwarf/ - no dwarf at /all/ will touch that metalshop.

I have just confirmed the bug by buying another anvil, making a 2nd shop /right beside/ the first, and now am churning out adamantine items. That stupid workshop frustrated me for so long I'm still leaving all these poor dwarves to die once I make some nice adamantine loot for my next adventurer, though.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]

Block

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://In progress
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

Have you forbidden the workshop? Because when you're forbidding stuff from the designations menu you can accidentally forbid stuff like buildings.
Now with 15% more blockiness!

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 06:58:00 am »

quote:
His strange mood also had to be a metalsmith mood, as metalsmithing was his highest skill.

Dwarves pick among all their mood-possible-skills when they decide what mood to get.  This means that a dabbling mason/expert stonecrafter can get a stonecrafter or a mason mood, not only the first one.  The level of knowledge probably doesn't matter.

Just clarifyin', carry on

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Juason:
<STRONG>Well, this wouldn't explain why you can't make items at that forge, but 50% of the time a metalsmith will require a magma forge.  I think its possible they'll even want one on maps without magma :/  So that could be why he refused to claim the forge you had...</STRONG>

Pretty sure that dwarves won't look for a magma furnace on a non-magma map. At the very least, I've never seen it happen. I've only ever played one map with magma too.

The only thing I can think of is thus: have you altered the min/max skills allowed in that workshop? Could be that it's set such that most dwarves aren't high enough (or low enough) in skill to touch it. Probably a longshot.

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>
Dwarves pick among all their mood-possible-skills when they decide what mood to get.  This means that a dabbling mason/expert stonecrafter can get a stonecrafter or a mason mood, not only the first one.  The level of knowledge probably doesn't matter.</STRONG>

You are actually incorrect.  A Dabbling Mason/Expert Stonecrafter will always get a Stonecrafter mood.  Look it up on the Wiki.  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Strange_mood

What this problem sounds like is what other people have said - when the workshop was being placed, the dark green X's (which block movement) and the walls around the shop were organized in such a way as to prevent movement to the center tile.  The blocked tiles on a Metalsmith's Forge are the middle-left and middle-right tile, so if those were where your dwarves needed to go through to get in, then that explains why.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

He says they've used the workshop before, though. And when it's built so that it's closed off, usually there's a dwarf trapped in there with it, slowly dying and going mad.

It is possible he set the workshop to forbidden somehow, accidentally.

Though I admit the possibility of a genuine bug.

Want to upload the save so we can all take a look at it?  :)