Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves wont use bolts  (Read 492 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves wont use bolts
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

My marks dwarves are refusing to grab metal bolts when i send them out to fight. They are repeatedly doing this despite the fcat that they have demenstrated an ability to reach the stockpile when training with bone bolts. they wont even take their bone practice bolts.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves wont use bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thatguyyaknow:
<STRONG>My marks dwarves are refusing to grab metal bolts when i send them out to fight. They are repeatedly doing this despite the fcat that they have demenstrated an ability to reach the stockpile when training with bone bolts. they wont even take their bone practice bolts.</STRONG>
Questions:  You're sure the metal bolts are available, not forbidden in some way, and that the marksdwarves have been told to use crossbows and have one equipped?  Assuming the answer is "yes", have you tried making some quivers?  If again "yes", then I dunno what the deal is.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves wont use bolts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

I've seen this quite a few times and was able to narrow the problem down for my fort.

If marksdwarves see an enemy, they will not stand down, they will not eat/sleep or drink, they will not grab ammo to reload, they wont even move their stations if on the same z-level and out of ammo. They will stare at him and if they are close enough on the same z-level, they will charge and attack hammer-dwarf style. I fixed it by keeping my barracks and ammo dumps quite far away from any type of action. I put them on duty, assign them to stand somewhere near the ammo bins, when I note that they are finally picking up equipment, then I send them to fight. It also seems to help that most of my marksdwarves fight from at least one z-level higher than my enemies can reach.

The problem seems to be related to the marksdwarves switching over to hammerer skill after dropping their practice bolts and then seeing an enemy on the same z-level. You will have to de-activate them, wait for them to get somewhere where they can't see the enemy, activate them and station them near an ammo bin where they can't see the enemy. PITA, but they are worth it in the end.