Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Repost of dwarf sparring bug.  (Read 678 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Repost of dwarf sparring bug.
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

Original post -
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004410

This is to call attention to a problem myself and other have experienced with dwarf sparring.  My initial dwarves spar just fine and level up accordingly.  Later dwarves often refuse to spar for years on end.  Thanks for taking a peek.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Repost of dwarf sparring bug.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

I've had this problem, too - but I'm not sure if I'd call it a problem.  More advanced dwarves are less likely to spar because, well, they're way too good at sparring.  It might be just a feature that they're less likely to spar, and quite frankly I think it makes sense.

So send them into the field and get them to pick a fight with some gobbos.  The best training is found on the battlefield, after all >: )

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

You must not have read the linked thread.

The problem is I cannot get dwarves to train as RECRUITS.  This makes it impossible to field a military late game if you lose your champions.

I don't want to say too much because the linked thread explains it all... but basically I was able to get my first 4 dwarves to champion in just over a year being offduty with a single barracks, no armor and no weapons.

Late game I can have 4 barracks, 10 champions, 20 dwarves, 10 recruits, all off duty.  The 10 recruits never train (they solider around the fort) and eventually years go by and only the champions are getting more experienced.

I have tried -

- No armor, chain armor, plate armor.
- No weapons, silver weapons, steel weapons.
- Dozens of squad formations (all in 1, everyone in their own one, mixed)
- Locking the recruits in a room with food, armor, weapons and a massive barracks for 3 years while offduty with plenty of beds.
- putting all the experienced dwarves on duty to let the recruits have run of the fort.

:P

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Juason ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

I can take a look at the save if you like, preferably one with your recruits locked off in a room or whatever the last attempt was.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.

It wouldn't make much sense with that many recruits, but I didn't see any mention of injury-checking.  Did you make sure they didn't have brain/spine injuries, etc.?

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

Could you give this a try, please?  http://69.91.89.225/DF_Bug.rar

You'll notice a large barracks on the second bottom most floor with a bunch of dwarves inside and a locked outer door.  (My fortress with the many many recruits was lost when a dozen goblin ambushes screwed me over)  

Anyhow, this fortress seems to be exhibiting the same behavior.  The dwarves are each in their own squad.  Some have armor, some do not.  Some are really skilled, some are not.  Some have weapons, some do not.  

They are all off duty and near a bed, food and 2 armor-stand created barracks and one bed barracks which is currently turned off.  If I turn it on their behavior doesn't seem to change... I've been trying different things in an attempt at getting them training.  They just stand in place soldiering, eating or sleeping.  

Thanks for any insight you can give me!  I hope I'm not doing something really stupid :P

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

DURRRRR!!!!!

Read that thread a bit quick.  Oops.  :P at end of post 100% earned.

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

The four guys the camera started on all had brain/spinal injuries.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Really?   : ponders :  When I look at their wounds it is all white though?

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Juason ]

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »

Oh I am such a n00b!  I had no idea you could scroll down the wounds box.  And damn.. I guess that explains my problem.  Late game my dwarves have steel weapons - and although I avoid injuries like broken bones and mangled heads, the occasional brain and spinal cord must get dinged.

Sorry to have wasted your time :/

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

It's all right, it's not like the wound scrolling is apparent aside from the little arrow or whatever it slips in there on the side.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]