Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Randomly Spawning Immigrants  (Read 449 times)

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Randomly Spawning Immigrants
« on: May 26, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

I was under the impression that immigrants always appeared at the edge of a map.  (using 38c BTW)  So I was slightly surprised when, lo and behold, immigrants appeared right in the middle of the map.

So... this got me thinking: can baddies appear in the middle of the map?.. and how in the world am I supposed to build defenses to stop them if they just poof right in the middle of my base?

So far, goblins, caravans, and in fact virtually everybody else is spawning like they ought to except for the immigrants.

Losing is fun, I guess.  In any case, I've got multiple saves of this world (which was the whole point of the exercise) in case you (Toady) haven't fixed this yet.

Alrighty then.  I've got two saves in the file depot... the next time I run into the random location spawning dwarves (RLSD) I'll upload v3.

Save #1
Save #2

Oh, and if you was wondering, I am on a Gateway Laptop running WinXP.

-(e)EP Out

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly Spawning Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

I'm 99% sure that I've seen this bug reported in earlier versions; thanks for pointing out it's persisting in 38c.
火族

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Yeah, this is Bug 486, and I'm not sure what causes it yet.  I've downloaded the saves.  What point are these saves at?  Is one of them an in-play fortress where I just need to wait for migrants?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

Erp... I coulda sworn that the first (or was it the second?.. drat) was right in the middle of the immigrants spawning...

The first save should be right smack dab in the middle of a immigrant swarm.  They ought to be popping out right by the housing complex by the river.

Hold on, let me check...

-(e)EP Out (And hopefully returning shortly...)

[edit]
Yeah.  The first save should open right on top of the dwarves spawning in the middle of the map.  Maybe I shoulda noted that with the file I uploaded...

-(e)EP Out (for real, this time)

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Electronic Phantom ]