Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Wacky Wagons (000481?)  (Read 937 times)

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Wacky Wagons (000481?)
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

This is probably related to Bug 000481, but since that doesn't specifically refer to ramps like my bug does, I figure I'll post it.

Anyways, for my latest fortress, I decided to drop a block of stone into a magma pool so that my fortress entrance could be in the center of said pool. While definitely cool, this has given rise to a problem with wagons.

Wagons can enter my fortress just fine, but as they attempt to leave by my ramps, their beasts of burden are clipped through the walls of my entrance and take a brief swim in the magma. Let's just say I was a little bit alarmed when I first saw plumes of smoke rising from my entrance without warning or random !!Urist!!s.

I would post a save game, but I'm using some mods at the moment (none of which change magma, wagons, or kittens). The entryway I currently have is like this:

code:

~~~~~~~     ~: Magma
~#####~     #: Wall
~#///#~     /: Up Ramp
~#...#~     .: Ground
~#...#~     \: Down Ramp
~#...#~
~#\\\#~
~#####~
~~~~~~~

This probably stems from the fact that wagons (and their beasts) are treated as a singular entity when moving. Thus, the beasts of burden ignore my ramps and move into the magma for a brief moment before the wagon decides to move itself up a level.

Plenty of animals were harmed in the making of this post. Presumably they survived, as they [T]raveled when they reached the edge of the map.

EDIT: Actually, I think there may be another bug in this one... Even unconscious from the burning pain, said beasts of burden are still pulling their wagons. Or maybe the wagon is carrying the ox along?  :)

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Tenebrous ]

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Wacky Wagons (000481?)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

That is hilarious.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

One solution is to just add another layer of wall. Although doing that in a magma pool could be problematic.

Still, interesting find. Makes me want to do it myself.

Then seal 'em in a tunnel somewhere and watch.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

It would be even better if horses had the [EQUIPS] tag, then you would have flaming horse pants after they walk through the magma.

But that would severely hinder future trade relations, since the wagon would fall apart each time due to dead animals...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

I'll note it down.  481 was a different problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!