Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It drove him stark mad..  (Read 552 times)

plarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • www.whitewoodstudio.com
It drove him stark mad..
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:42 pm »

One of my crafters was crafting turtle shell items when I noticed he had been toiling away for some time on one item....2 seconds later a get a message that he has gone insane and drowned himself  :o

Anyone have something similar happen?
I don't read books anymore just dwarffortress

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It drove him stark mad..
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »

It seems Toady implemented new methods of Fun.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:58:02 pm »

Yeah, I had a surgeon go berserk for absolutely no reason at all. He was traveling down a single tile hallway when it happened, i just figured he was claustrophobic or something.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:08:11 pm »

Well suicide rates are high amongst medical professions...

I think it's either a bug, or a conflict of job VS preferences, like the shell guy hated mussels/turtles/whatever or the surgeon liked working outdoors. Preferences seem to play a larger role in .16, since I've had several dwarves drop to Very Unhappy simply from working with things they hated... But it might be coincidence.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »

One of my crafters was crafting turtle shell items when I noticed he had been toiling away for some time on one item....2 seconds later a get a message that he has gone insane and drowned himself  :o
This sounds like a strange mood that failed.  Did you get any messages that he had previously withdrawn from society, been possessed, or been taken by a fey mood, followed by a message that he had seized a workshop?  They're kind of hard to miss, being of the type of message that pauses the game and moves your screen to the dwarf's location.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.