Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orc Mod  (Read 955 times)

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orc Mod
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

Does anyone know where I can get a working version of the Orc mod for the latest version of DF? I have never done any mods before and I heard that this one was very good. If there is a working version, how do I install it?

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orc Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:52:50 pm »

I have found a version that appears current, could someone please tell me what I need to do to install it?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »

Make sure you got the right version! The Orc Mod thread has only the 40d version in the first post, with a link to the post with the correct version at the top of that first post. You might have mistakenly thought the link at the top was a link to where to get the actual mod, scrolled down, and then saw the link to dffd and thought that that was the right mod; it isn't.

The correct one for 31.x is here. Unzip that file into your Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects folder, then generate a new world. That should be all there is to it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:18:05 am »

Sweet, thank you very much. Could you possibly recommend any other mods that would be good to either enhance the game in general or to compliment this mod?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:58:10 am »

Sweet, thank you very much. Could you possibly recommend any other mods that would be good to either enhance the game in general or to compliment this mod?
I like the Dwarven Higher Learning mod, myself, as it allows for training of some skills that are almost impossible to increase otherwise, particularly health care.

I also tend to go through my raws and remove all non-armor clothing types, as I dislike the mass amounts of clutter that invariably shows up with every siege. That, IIRC, isn't a problem with orcs, however, as they come unclothed save for armor anyway.

Um. Most of the mods I use are intended to simply increase the challenge of the game. I run Dwarven Higher Learning, Fortress Defense II, the aforementioned clothing removal (that's not a formal mod, just something I've done), and a mod I've been testing that involves a free-wood-producing workshop. I don't actually run the orc mod; Fortress Defense adds enough sieges as it is, sometimes 2 or 3 per season for years on end. Basically, you'll want to see what your needs are for your production and defenses, and get or make new mods accordingly.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:52 pm »

If I download the fortress defense I will need to generate a new world, right?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »

Yes, if you are changing the raws you almost always have to generate a new world in order for the changes to take effect.  I think there are some exceptions to this, but can't think of any off the top of my head (and I haven't done much modding beyond tilesets).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"