Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: After 9 years of peace....  (Read 876 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
After 9 years of peace....
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:27:47 pm »

After 9 years of peace and prosperity, out of nowhere one calm autumn evening, a giant eagle [the third to appear on the map, ever] comes out of nowhere, slaughters the crap out of my expedition leader and doctor, and then retreats back into the mountains.

Anybody else have other stories of just random attacks out of the blue [perhaps even literally?] that then run off quick as they came?
Cage traps are my magma.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: After 9 years of peace....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »

There was a slugman who got trapped on an island while I was channeling my moat and my dwarves gave it a name. So I thought "oh hey cool i'll let it off the island and maybe i'll get a slugman mayor" so I built a bridge to let it off. It resided in my fortress for a good two years and then all of a sudden killed two children and almost got a armorer before a hunter killed the bastard. Sneaky slugs.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:08 pm »

I opened the path to the middle cave for exactly 3 seconds to channel a path to the magma pipe.  In those 3 seconds, a giant mole wandered in and terrified everyone in the entire fort.  I recruited 2 legendary miners to kill it, and it killed the miners and escaped almost unscathed instead.  That was a justified savescum, I'd say.
Sanity is for the weak.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

Goblin ambushers (lashers and an axegob) appear in my hospital, kill cripples, cripple doctors, run away before soldiers arrive, flee through caverns, get killed by FB (eight-legged quadruped composed of iron, showed up years ago, didn't attack until just then, met the goblins on their way out). FB gets to my hospital, kills two doctors, soldiers finally show up, it gets one-shotted after crippling my militia commander.

The tantrum spiral killed the fort.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:58 pm »

eight-legged quadruped

. . . Random . . . description . . . generators . . .

--Rexfelum

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:47:48 pm »

eight-legged quadruped
Wait...

What?

*logic failure*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:53:17 pm »

I opened the path to the middle cave for exactly 3 seconds to channel a path to the magma pipe.  In those 3 seconds, a giant mole wandered in and terrified everyone in the entire fort.  I recruited 2 legendary miners to kill it, and it killed the miners and escaped almost unscathed instead.  That was a justified savescum, I'd say.

THERE IS NO JUSTIFIED SAVESCUMMING IN DF

Or at least that's my opinion at this point. Whatever works for you though.

On-Topic: Zombie ocean sun fish swam towards the fort and terrified everyone. So I sent my captain of the guard to kill it. Of course, he fell into the ocean instead of shooting it from afar. The sunfish then somehow managed to decapitate him (google ocean sunfish and then try and explain how it would decapitate someone). After doing so, it swam away and was never heard from again.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:55:49 pm »

THERE IS NO JUSTIFIED SAVESCUMMING IN DF

Or at least that's my opinion at this point. Whatever works for you though.

On-Topic: Zombie ocean sun fish swam towards the fort and terrified everyone. So I sent my captain of the guard to kill it. Of course, he fell into the ocean instead of shooting it from afar. The sunfish then somehow managed to decapitate him (google ocean sunfish and then try and explain how it would decapitate someone). After doing so, it swam away and was never heard from again.

Maybe it was secretly a kraken.

Yes, I said that.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.