Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [38c] Mass Suicide Anyone?  (Read 1912 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Mass Suicide Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keldor:
<STRONG>Besides, division has a lower order of operation than multiplication, so a/b*c is equivalent to a/(b*c) and NOT (a/b)*c.</STRONG>

Many -- but not all -- reasonable people would disagree.  As would most compilers.

Every reasonable person would agree that if you write a/b*c without parentheses, you deserve everything that happens to you.  Your kitten got run over by a truck?  It's because you wrote a/b*c.

If we're going to get this pedantic, Draco's two expressions are equivalent only in real arithmetic.  They're not equivalent in integer or floating-point math.

We're just a bunch of Neros, fiddling with operator precedence while our cities riot themselves to death.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

Back on topic : the morale drop for losing a friend should also depend on the personality of the dwarf. After all, loners don't really care about their friends' or relatives' death. I'm speaking from personal experience  ;)

Mortal Kron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Wow...
My Sad story turned into a Mathematical Equation for Dwarven Happiness.

Anyways, Apparently Military Dwarves are all friends when they first meet to reclaim fortresses. My Old Suicidal Fortress had now been reoccupied with HUNDREDS  of Ratmen, Antmen, And Trododytes! However that wasn't a problem for my 70 Army Dwarves until...

ONE dwarf died, Then BOOM! INSTANT MISERY! All the other 69 dwarves became miserable and started throwing tantrums! Some went Berserk and the other dwarves killed them! Making the dwarves even more depressed! Now all the dwarves are killing each other... AGAIN!

So, I'm giving up on taking that fortress...

This does however prove that the dwarves socializing and the dwarves all being friends have nothing to do with each other.

Also, Unrelated, Apparently there is also a bug with coins, when I had my fortress BEFORE everyone killed themselves, I had 16000 copper coins, 6000 gold coins, 10000 silver coins, and 500 platinum coins. However when I went to go reclaim my fortress all the coins were scattered IN PILES OF 1 to 5 COINS! Completely covering my entire map in coins.

Oh and no Military Dwarves do not gain friend points.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Mortal Kron ]

eware The Moon Monkeys!!!

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

The whole misery thing for Dwarves is messed up in general. If my friend got killed by a goblin machine-gunner I think I'd want to go desecrate goblin corpses, not destroy bridges. And the fact that you can have a chain reaction resulting in a Jonestown level tragedy is a major deterrent to facing the goblins with your army.

Dwarves should have a concept of a noble death, and misery from death should be lessened. I could see going nuts if the corpse is left in the hall till it rots away, but watching a few troops go down in the line of duty to a known enemy whose been trying to infiltrate your base for the past four years should cause you to butcher all your friends.

-D.B.

Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mortal Kron:
<STRONG>Wow...
My Sad story turned into a Mathematical Equation for Dwarven Happiness.

Anyways, Apparently Military Dwarves are all friends when they first meet to reclaim fortresses. My Old Suicidal Fortress had now been reoccupied with HUNDREDS  of Ratmen, Antmen, And Trododytes! However that wasn't a problem for my 70 Army Dwarves until...

ONE dwarf died, Then BOOM! INSTANT MISERY! All the other 69 dwarves became miserable and started throwing tantrums! Some went Berserk and the other dwarves killed them! Making the dwarves even more depressed! Now all the dwarves are killing each other... AGAIN!

So, I'm giving up on taking that fortress...

This does however prove that the dwarves socializing and the dwarves all being friends have nothing to do with each other.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Mortal Kron ]</STRONG>

Sure they do.  It's just that the relationships in the reclaiming party were formed before they arrived at the fortress.  Also, they didn't have any happy thoughts from exquisite dining rooms or plump helmet stews to fall back on, so when their friends died, they went over the edge.

And can't some dwarves become inured to death? (Urist McDwarf doesn't care about anything anymore)

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Javis ]

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Javis:
<STRONG>
And can't some dwarves become inured to death? (Urist McDwarf doesn't care about anything anymore)
</STRONG>

I read that as "injured to death" at first, which seemed kinda silly.

It does seem like at least some of the reclaim party should be jaded at the start, representing the veterans who have already seen everything repeatedly.

Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Pages: 1 [2]