Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tons of Children  (Read 666 times)

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tons of Children
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:12:58 pm »

I'm relatively new, and have only played a few fortresses so far, and none of them for all that long, but my fortress now, which I think will be a keeper has 1 problem... it's got tons of children and babies.  At the end of my second year I have a total of 73 dwarves, of those 4 are babies, and 10 more are children (most of which are less than 6 years old.)  I didn't seem to have so many children in my previous fortresses, especially so early.  Each immigrant wave has come with several children, and I've had 5 baby births.  Is this common?

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
Re: Tons of Children
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »

haha, you only have 10 children, in my last fort i had about 70-80 children not doing squat  8) good cannon fodder for gobbos

and to answer your question... yes it's quite common
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »

You can adjust the amount of kids in the game with the d_init settings.

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

haha, you only have 10 children, in my last fort i had about 70-80 children not doing squat  8) good cannon fodder for gobbos

and to answer your question... yes it's quite common

Uhhh...  what's your avatar supposed to be?  o_0
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:24:45 pm »

what do you mean?
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D: