Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 38c, not getting any moods or artifact attempts  (Read 1089 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
38c, not getting any moods or artifact attempts
« on: March 18, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

It's 1061 and I've yet to have a dwarf claim any workshops!  many would be jealous, but, I personally really enjoy the artifact process and see it as a wonderful storytelling device as well as a great way to generate wealth and other stuff, even if it occasionally ends in tragedy

anyway, it's 1061, and I've got none.  not one attempt.

I checked my init.txt, and artifacts are set to = YES, as well as EVERY other option, so I can't rightly figure why I wouldn't be getting a mood yet.

The fort is unconventional, but, it has workshops and plenty of supplies and other stuff.  Are my dwarves just uninspired?  I searched the bugs list but I can never find what I'm looking for so this might be a known issue, is it?  Is there anything I can do to ... prod them into a mood?

The game is entirely unmodded, btw.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 38c, not getting any moods or artifact attempts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

Population > 20?  Otherwise, I got nothin'.

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

There might not be making artifacts because of the lack of history to engrave on their would be masterpieces. Try unleashing some demons or other forms of mayhem.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: Miminini ]

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

If I recall correctly, one of the triggers for getting artifacts is having mined out enough rock. If your unconventional fortress is located largely aboveground (or created via magma injection moulding or the like), this could be your problem.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

Ahh, all of these things leads me to understand why.

Until recently it had been at exactly 12 dwarves.  That explains some.

Also, while not technically above ground, it's mostly under water and the fort is constructed entirely out of wood (it's a pirate ship, really)

I did have to do quite a bit of mining in order to dig out the dry-dock, so that doesn't seem to be an issue, and, as for legends, I've had some really nice engravings come out about stories involving the many, many, MANY deaths and attacks and merchants and etc etc, so, i don't think stories are a problem.  I'd venture to guess that it was only because I was rolling with 12 dwarves.

I had no idea that was a problem =/  Well thank you guys very much for the info, I've upped the pop to 23 (22.5 hehe) and we'll see if that gives me better luck!

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>If I recall correctly, one of the triggers for getting artifacts is having mined out enough rock.</STRONG>

I've lost too many dwarves to my not having found any rock -- and, therefore, gems -- to mine for me to believe you.  However, those did mine out lots of soil.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Er, right. Mine out space, regardless of what was there before the pick cleared it out of the way.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

How many strange moods can occur in a single fortress?

* The limit is equal to the number of subterranean squares you've unhidden divided by 2304 (48*48), or the quantity of items made divided per 200. The games selects the lowest of the two values.

How often do they happen?

* An internal counter is set to 1000 at first, and decremented regularly. When it hits zero, instead of being decremented, the probability to trigger a mood is 1/500 (every time). This process is performed between 11 or 12 times a day.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

This is probably me being a fool, but I could swear that I read somewhere that depth of digging had something to do with the rate of moods... Again, though, I could be entirely wrong.

I didn't know there was a limit.  I thank you.  I shall need to keep my dwarves happier to make sure that more of my moods are not posessions...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>I shall need to keep my dwarves happier to make sure that more of my moods are not posessions...</STRONG>

We do not know what causes a dwarf to become possessed over fey or secretive.

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

We do not know what causes a dwarf to become possessed over fey or secretive.</STRONG>

It's kinda weird but until a few patches ago (not that I really played a ton ever before anyway but still) the majority of moods I got were possessions.