Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What do I need more of to make DF run faster?  (Read 8449 times)

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need more of to make DF run faster?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 10:12:36 am »

Which is why it's a good idea to use one hand when dealing with open circuits. That way, if you complete a circuit through your fingers or palm, it just fries the hand, as opposed to your upper torso.

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »

Which is why it's a good idea to use one hand when dealing with open circuits. That way, if you complete a circuit through your fingers or palm, it just fries the hand, as opposed to your upper torso.

Alternatively, you can use a grounding bracelet.  Or, you know, be sure the power is cut.  Especially when dealing with a computer, just unplug it and you are good to go.
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 01:00:59 am »

voltage doesn't matter. 7 amps/miliamps (don't remember) kills you.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2010, 04:03:47 am »

voltage doesn't matter. 7 amps/miliamps (don't remember) kills you.

50 miliamps.

This is right, however.  It has absolutely nothing to do with voltage.  Voltage is a measure of how easily a current can overcome resistance (think of it like how much pressure it has).  Amperage is how much current is flowing.

100 to 200 miliamps is most dangerous.  In this range, the current will cause your heart to fibrillate.
On the other hand, that spark after shuffling your feet on the carpet when you touch the doorknob is in the range of tens of thousands of volts or higher.

Anything higher than 500 miliamps is actually less dangerous, because it just stops your heart for the duration of current flow, and if it's short enough (meaning if you're not cooked), then your heart will just start to beat all on its own again.  That's not to say it wouldn't suck and leave you with severe burns anyways.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

GenexController

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2010, 05:34:29 am »

Remember to erase old maps if you plan not to use them again.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2010, 05:39:27 am »

If you're still looking for a good CPU, I'd suggest an e8400 or an e8600. along with a good heatsink. Those usually overclock really well (mine doesn't ;-;) and can reach speeds of up to 4GHz with the right setup. The architecture might be a bit dated now, but not much comes close in terms of raw speed, and it's really good value for money.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:28 am »

I'm going to upgrade my computer soon, what is it that DF taxes the most that causes the FPS rot over time? I imagine it's either RAM or CPU, but I'm likely wrong.
Anyone know?
Probably the most benefit comes from increasing the CPU-cache sizes and Memory bandwidth, so get Maximum CPU cache and the fastest RAM available. And by fastest RAM, I mean choosing the motherboard such that it can use the fastest memories available in the market (if the budget is not stopping you) (and the "biggest available CPU-cache" -CPU for it) and not just picking any MB
and the fastest RAM that it can use.

I'd probably go for something like 4-8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 (price optimum here), but there are also 2000MHz DIMMs available too, so if the price is not stopping you, Then get something like
"Kingston HyperX 6GB(3x2GB) 2000MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL8 6GB" and a motherboard that can use it and the CPU with biggest cache you can afford that fits the motehrboard.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:19 pm »

Just as an aside on grounding yourself, the thing in the average house that is guaranteed to be properly grounded is the bathroom tap.  Metal pipes all the way to the ground, regardless of how far that is away.  A coil of (uninsulated, obviously) wire with one end wrapped around the tap and the other around your wrist (or ankle, if that's easier to work with) and there won't be a shred of static to be found.

That and learning how much thermal paste is the right amount (google this for pics, too much and too little are both bad) is all you need to replace a CPU.  Or any other computer part, for that matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]