Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin's leg severed by a bronze bolt?  (Read 1246 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin's leg severed by a bronze bolt?
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:48 pm »

Goblins must have really scrawny arms and legs.  I just had a goblin get their leg severed by a crossbow trap a moment before my guards arrived and beat her to death with steel truncheons.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin's leg severed by a bronze bolt?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »

Goblins must have really scrawny arms and legs.  I just had a goblin get their leg severed by a crossbow trap a moment before my guards arrived and beat her to death with steel truncheons.

That is possible, depending on where it was hit.  You can also get a fatal wound to the leg if you are hit in a certain artery (doubt this is represented in game though :P )

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »

I think they have the exact same dimensions as Dwarves.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »

Did multiple bolts hit the same leg? As there are stacking injuries in the game, they might have slowly sawed the leg off.

Like, imagine a leg is thickness 5 (not really but as an example). A bolt is thickness 2. One bolt hits, slices a deep cut. Second bolt hits, slices even more, and now the leg is hanging by just a little bit of muscle, which gets severed with the last bolt causing it to fly off.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 03:08:29 pm »

Bolts only count as edged weapons. Their small size only reduces their probability of a severing injury. Of course, the whole combat system could use a little work-- I recall a tale of a goblin who had both ears shot off with one bolt, without injuring the brain.

Just think about how that works.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 03:14:27 pm »

Bolts only count as edged weapons. Their small size only reduces their probability of a severing injury. Of course, the whole combat system could use a little work-- I recall a tale of a goblin who had both ears shot off with one bolt, without injuring the brain.

Are you sure that wasn't an older version? I've heard that was fixed.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 03:19:56 pm »

Are you sure that wasn't an older version? I've heard that was fixed.
Quite probably.
Regardless, combat bugs (or features, as I like to think of them) like this still exist

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 05:34:44 pm »

Like a boomerang.
Derp.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »

Goblins are hardly noted for their great intellect...
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

Goblins are hardly noted for their great intellect...

Well, no one ever said their brains were in their heads.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 06:25:03 pm »

[Insert joke about the grassy knoll here]
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:26:01 pm »

It hit the goblins weapon and sheared in half, causing both sides to miss it's face and hit the ears.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers