Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Metal Doors?  (Read 3089 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Doors?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 12:00:51 pm »

If you want to keep the trolls occupied, construct Trade Depots all around the map. They'll be so busy destroying useless stone depots that the goblins rush in undefended.
What happens when caravans come? I just make a 3 wide maze to me entrance out of statues. Patch up the holes after a siege, problem solved.
The TD way improves both architect AND mason/carpenter/etc. skill.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »

If you want to keep the trolls occupied, construct Trade Depots all around the map. They'll be so busy destroying useless stone depots that the goblins rush in undefended.
What happens when caravans come? I just make a 3 wide maze to me entrance out of statues. Patch up the holes after a siege, problem solved.
Forbid all but the real one.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 12:05:19 pm »

If you want to grind architecture (masonry/carpentry are just too easy to grind to bother with), support are way more effective, and don't attract caravans.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »

One big - and oft overlooked - advantage of fancy metal doors is that putting a few at frequently traveled locations, such as the entrance to booze stockpiles, can result in good thoughts from dwarves seeing the fancy doors.  Because even if your child just got savagely beaten to death in a room rigged to hit everything inside it with sticks in order to train them in armor use, having a nice drink in a dining room with a brass floodgate in the center and a gold door covered with opals and agate will cheer you right up.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »

Metal doors are a nice way to increase room value. Decorating them can boost them to ridiculous levels. I'm building a tomb for my king right now that has three rooms in it; since there's an artifact bronze door with his image on it, I've been decorating another bronze door to go along with it. A undecorated masterwork bronze door comes in at 600 dwarfbucks, but the decorated door is sitting at 36,000+. Hopefully I can get a star sapphire from a future caravan so that I can hit my target value of 44K.

Far as trollbait goes, supports are a better choice than Depots, especially if you put a floor above them. With any luck, the impact will take out some goblins as well.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 06:41:01 pm »

If you want to increase room value, I am a huge supporter of steel/cotton candy sawblade weapon traps to boost value.  One cotton candy disc is worth about 32k or 37k (I forgot exact value) If you can get a masterwork, you are looking at hundreds of thousands of dorfbucks from one disc.  getting nice rooms is no problem at all if you are willing to use expensive furniture/materials.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 08:04:30 pm »

Metal doors are a nice way to increase room value. Decorating them can boost them to ridiculous levels. I'm building a tomb for my king right now that has three rooms in it; since there's an artifact bronze door with his image on it, I've been decorating another bronze door to go along with it. A undecorated masterwork bronze door comes in at 600 dwarfbucks, but the decorated door is sitting at 36,000+. Hopefully I can get a star sapphire from a future caravan so that I can hit my target value of 44K.

Far as trollbait goes, supports are a better choice than Depots, especially if you put a floor above them. With any luck, the impact will take out some goblins as well.
Decoration can make things crazy.  My throne has a value of  350k just in furniture, and 6 of the 10 objects aren't decorated yet.

But, yes.  Other than room value and aesthetics there's no reason to use metal doors.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 08:06:54 pm »

Most of the time when a building is "destroyed", it's actually just deconstructed, so it's more like having the hinges popped off the wall rather than tearing the door apart, material wouldn't matter much in that case anyway.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2]