Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insane Baron  (Read 554 times)

Xonir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insane Baron
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:50 am »

Hey everyone, I'm new here and relatively new to DF (third fortress, counting a reclaim) so I hope I'm not asking anything stupid here. :)

I have a fortress of about 220 dwarves with great wealth (both produced and exported). It took me a while to get a Baron, probably because of the bug I read about with the liaison. Once I did what was in the wiki (delay meeting with liaison until trade caravan left) he did propose my fortress become a colony/barony.

I suggested a dwarf and he became baron. I then started building a seperate throne room for him, but he became miserable because of the lack of shiny room in the meantime and finally went over the edge when he saw my mayor's nice room. :-) He went stark raving mad, to be more precise. Now...this is where my question comes in: as soon as he went insane he was apparently stripped of his baron title and became a regular soapmaker again. Baron was also scrapped from my noble screen.

I locked him in and starved him to death, but no replacement came/ was suggested, not even with the next dwarven caravan. Is this normal, him being stripped of his title without a replacement? And will there still be another baron?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Insane Baron
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:59 am »

Thas a lotta dwarfs

Xonir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:14 am »

Yeah...I seem to be in a 'sweet spot' though. Over several years of time I only had one Hill Titan show up, nothing else. And he was killed by a human caravan guard in one blow when he walked past my trade depot.  :( No sieges, not even annoying animals.

Not a lot of 'fun' perhaps, but ideal to learn the ropes without ragequitting after getting bumrushed. ;)

EDIT: I should perhaps add that I also delayed the meeting with the liaison until the caravan left after my baron's death, just to be sure. But ziltch.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:00:51 am by Xonir »

aslambilal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:07:47 am »

You can always find some "fun" by digging into the caverns below, or even finding some adamantium.

Xonir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:44:01 am »

Oh, I will, I just want to figure things out a bit first (like managing the military a little more efficiently). :)

So no one really knows about the (possible) baron problem? :(

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:51:27 pm »

For what it's worth, I've got the same problem (in 0.31.14). Except that my Baron was also mayor and went insane after HFS killed lots of dwarves. A new mayor was automatically designated when the mayor/baron went insane, but no baron. And after that, the lands around my fortress were upgraded twice (countdom, then dukedom ?) and no replacement noble was proposed. I will see what happens if my fortress becomes a capital.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.