Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mechanic games  (Read 2115 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic games
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:20:07 pm »

Oh, I remember some people mentioned a space MMO where you designed your own spaceships down to the mixing of the metals, not sure what it was called but it might be what you're looking for.

I think that's Star Wars Galaxies, but it's come a long way in sucking since.
No, it was a MMORTS, has been mentioned several times but I can't for my life remember what it is called, might be what he's looking for though.

Beyond Protocol! I played it in Beta, but it is extremely complex. You can mix metals to make alloys, and depending on what qualities you want (malleability, acid resistance, strength) you should mix different metals. Different alloys are needed for different parts, but you could use the same alloy for all parts (it wouldn't be as good though).

Personally, it was too complex for me. It's like if DF had a smart baby.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 08:35:13 pm »

You're kind of a robot mechanic in Robotrek.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 10:37:48 pm »

TF2. Of course that's an extreme stretch and almost breaks the rubber band, but eh.
Hello Hunam

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:49:43 am »

http://www.roboforge.altervista.org/

building robots that kill each other.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 06:22:02 am »

Constructor is probably along the lines of what you're looking for
http://www.zachtronicsindustries.com/?p=710

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 06:32:50 am »

Beyond Protocol! I played it in Beta, but it is extremely complex. You can mix metals to make alloys, and depending on what qualities you want (malleability, acid resistance, strength) you should mix different metals. Different alloys are needed for different parts, but you could use the same alloy for all parts (it wouldn't be as good though).

Personally, it was too complex for me. It's like if DF had a smart baby.

I played this as it sounded like a wonderful idea but quickly it got boring. You could easily make wonderful alloys once you understood to just concentrate on a single aspect of the metal and then make very cheap components by increase research cost and time. There wasn't much else to do after that :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »

The NDS game is Touch Mechanic and it is an EXCELLENT title on a system I rarely enjoy longer than 5 minutes. I used my fiance's pink nds in public for hours on end because I couldn't put this down.
Gearhead Garage was a natural progression from the very cool garage element to the classic hot rod games. I used to keep a 386 machine running so I could play Hot Rod 2. Good times.

Unfortunately there really aren't any hands on auto mechanic games. Motor City Online was great and would have evolved nicely if not for EA's short sighted leadership at the time. Perhaps I will play around with wire mod. Moonbase alpha lives up to it's name. Not a game yet.

Both those games are awesome. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person in the world who enjoyed Touch Mechanic... It's in such sore need of a sequel.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 02:31:38 am »

Constructor is probably along the lines of what you're looking for
http://www.zachtronicsindustries.com/?p=710
The sad thing? I actually beat that game. At the end you find out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 [2]