Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Platinum is pretty common  (Read 515 times)

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Platinum is pretty common
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:37:00 am »

I might be the only one with this problem, but every fortress I've gone into has had seams of native platinum pretty early on. I did a forest map and the only metal I could find was native platinum. Platinum is useless to me because I need refined coal or something to make anything from it.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum is pretty common
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:51:00 am »

Given that you describe your map as a forest map, you presumably have a large number of trees present? You can make charcoal from felled trees, and "refined coal" apparently includes charcoal.

All my fortresses have also had large amounts of native platinum directly visible or a layer or two down. Also I noticed that my metal crafter made at least four (!) platinum goblets from one bar of platinum, each worth 800 or more. I'm not sure if this is intended.

All in all, it seems to me that the abundance of platinum on one hand, and several kinds of iron ore on the other, make it _a lot_ easier to get a productive fortress going in the new version. All my testing fortresses have been churning out high-value platinum crafts and/or iron weapons by early summer of the first year. With a bit of luck you can also find one of the numerous flux materials very early on, which in my understanding means steel weapons galore before you even get the first immigrant wave. I haven't played past the first winter yet with the new version, however, so I don't really know if the balance of play has been tweaked to be more challenging in other areas.

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: avari ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by avari:
<STRONG>You can make charcoal from felled trees, and "refined coal" apparently includes charcoal.[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: avari ]</STRONG>

Not in my experience.  I've tried making iron bars into things while having hunks of charcoal and it always fails.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

Charcoal has worked fine for me for smelting and metalsmithing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

It's possible I am mistaken, I just know I was having trouble until I found a vein of coal and turned that into bars.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

ive never used anything but charcoal for metalsmithing, with no trouble making platinum bars