Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Mad Military  (Read 822 times)

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Power Mad Military
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:31:41 am »

Recently I started noticing something very interesting in my fortress. I had a 10 man military that pushed back 2 goblin raids and was brought down to 4 dwarves, and while I had them station it looked like they were sparring I quickly took a look and to my surprise they weren't, it turns out my military became power mad and started attacking civilian dwarves at random! Thats where all those interrupt messages have been coming from! Now the military dwarves wont listen to my station orders and are chasing several dwarves around my fortress, what do i do!

P.S. - Now the military has turned on one another and are fighting each other to the death, 1 down so far with 3 fighting still...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:33:58 am by backlands »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Power Mad Military
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:51 am »

Loyalty cascade, makes dorfs kill each other all over the place.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:43:06 am »

For more details, see http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67683

Someone should really make a "Loyalty Cascade" page on the wiki, with probably a link from "civil war" and some other common terms.   

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:28:29 pm »

Did you use any military orders besides the scheduler?

Using kill lists or manually moving soldiers around tends to be very buggy, and sometimes dwarves randomly turn hostile to each other.

If you order your dwarves to defend a burrow or station/patrol points in the military scheduler then it all works fine.

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:49 pm »

Ya, I used the kill order to tell them to attack a goblin theif so that that is probably what happened, i saw in the squad orders that new kill orders kept appearing with different names until i disbanded the squad but they just kept going, fixed it by making all my dwarves military and then they killed the hostile dwarves and now im down to 20 dwarves! yay! O.o time to rebuild :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »

Ya, I used the kill order to tell them to attack a goblin theif so that that is probably what happened, i saw in the squad orders that new kill orders kept appearing with different names until i disbanded the squad but they just kept going, fixed it by making all my dwarves military and then they killed the hostile dwarves and now im down to 20 dwarves! yay! O.o time to rebuild :P

I had that problem as well, but as each bedroom has a door, and dwarves do need to sleep eventually I locked their doors as they went to sleep. Only lost about 10 dwarves out of my fortress of 200, so damage was minimal.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:21:22 pm »

Oh, the DWARFINESS!
Unfortunately, I can't help, but that's just awesome.
(I'm expecting a tantrum spiral any moment now)
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »

All you really need to do is to create one huge burrow that covers the entire map, and then order your dwarves to defend it. They will run around the map to stab at anything that turns hostile regardless of where it is on the map.

I recommend having some sort of guard post at the surface though, but you can do this by making a smaller burrow, such as just in the gatehouse itself, and have another squad of dwarves defend the gatehouse.

This means anything trying to sneak into your fortress will encounter the soldiers in the gatehouse/barracks. You will then have reinforcements come running, eager to stab more things. Once its all set up the only thing you need to do is replace any "vacancies" in the squads. If you rotate the squad schedules you can even have your guys doing training and sparring, preferably in the gatehouse/barracks so there are always soldiers there to catch anything trying to sneak in.

For example, lets say I want a large military, yet still have each squad small for efficient training, do this:

12 squads, 3 dwarves each
Each squad gets 2 months on training in the gatehouse/barracks while still on active duty.
The other 10 months have them defend the burrow that encompasses the entire embark.
At any given time there will be 6 dwarves in full gear as soldiers in the gatehouse.
There will be 30 additional dwarves roaming around the map to stab at anything hostile to your civilization, including hostile wild animals, megabeasts, and Urist McNeedsashell.

Your fortress defense will then handle itself, and you only need to worry about replacing the occasional "vacancy" in your military roster.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:53:49 pm by Hyndis »