Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds  (Read 9106 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:22 am »

I think I may have realized what actually causes it, because the seed cap is definitely in play.  It was always autumn when the problem occurred... when the Dwarven caravan arrived.  Either as soon as they entered the map or as soon as I was done buying them out, the seed count on the map for Pig Tails suddenly jumped to over 255, and the variable got reset to 0 or near-0 due to the overflow issue.
Sanity is for the weak.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 11:29:23 am »

There is no "seed count" that can overflow from 255 to zero. The 200-per-plant seed limit never destroys any existing seeds - it only affects whether plant processing/consumption will produce additional seeds.

Considering it happened in Autumn, it's far more likely that your planters filled your fields with pig tail seeds, and by the time you finished trading the season switched to Winter and destroyed all of the seeds in the farm plots.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:54 am »

Considering it happened in Autumn, it's far more likely that your planters filled your fields with pig tail seeds, and by the time you finished trading the season switched to Winter and destroyed all of the seeds in the farm plots.

I would put money on this being the problem.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 11:55:59 am »

You are not alone.  I had this happen, but instead with Plump Helmet spawn.  Back in .8 or .9 or something around there.  Every three years, all the plump helmet spawns in my fort would vaporize.  I could buy more from the caravan in Autumn, or occasionally find a plump helmet in the caverns, but it was easy to reproduce - but only on that one fort.  As with you, I'm confident they weren't being cooked or eaten by vermin, and they certainly weren't rotting.  The fort almost starved the first time it happened.     

I recall there was a bug report for it at the time, or at least I think there was.  That fort was somewhat glitchy anyway, thanks to some worldgen bizarreness (using parameters and worldgen seeds from a previous fort - one glitched gen out of twenty produced a spot that was "serene" but shouldn't have been), so I didn't bother to report it.

I like the explanation for planting at the end of the season destroying seeds, but that doesn't explain the frequency you are losing them at.  Something else is afoot....

maanahr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »

I've just had this happen with several seed types, and figured out what was causing it. (In my case, anyway.)

Although there is a cap for seeds at 200, it's a soft cap that only limits the seeds obtained through brweing and food being eaten, and caravans bringing more seeds can  easily push you over the cap. This doesn't really cause any serious errors like overflows; but it does mean that while the caravan is there, you won't get any seeds from brewing until the caravan has left the map again.

Quite a a few of the traders visiting me fell prey to goblin ambushes, and I never bothered to recover their goods. Their seeds were also still sitting there, forbidden, but still counting toward the cap. And since I grow about 6 different plants and already had pretty big seed stockpiles for each plant before the traders died, it also took years before the problem became noticeable.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »

That makes sense.  If the caravan brings 200 or more of a type of seed and you begin processing your crop of the same plant while they are present, you will lose your own seeds to the cap.  Since the Dwarven caravan often sits halfway through winter, or even until spring, you could lose all of your seeds to the cap if your crop was small enough.  This more or less fits under the issue that everything on the map is reported under your own inventory.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »

There is no "seed count" that can overflow from 255 to zero. The 200-per-plant seed limit never destroys any existing seeds - it only affects whether plant processing/consumption will produce additional seeds.

There's absolutely no way my Dwarves could plant even close to 200 Pig Tail seeds all at once in a 1x3 plot.  As I've stated multiple times already, the seed count does not gradually dwindle, it quite literally goes from a huge number (200 or close to it) to 0.
Sanity is for the weak.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 05:32:18 pm »

How often do you check it? Remember, caravan contents can count towards your stocks.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »

The Cave Wheat growth season is the same as the Pig Tails, yes? If the issue is that the end of the season is  destroying the seeds in the fields, then it should also be destroying the Cave Wheat crop. The OP has stated that this is not the case.

Incidentally, OP, is the production chain for Cave Wheat similar to your chain for Pig Tails? If so, that may put the nail in the coffin for that theory.

At this point I'd make a report on the bug tracker and upload a save.
Pages: 1 2 [3]