Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broker Uses Any Excuse to Avoid Meeting with Trade Liaso  (Read 854 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Broker Uses Any Excuse to Avoid Meeting with Trade Liaso
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

I've noticed that my clerk tries to avoid meeting with trade liasons.  The liason simply follows him around, while the clerk runs to do any task he can find other than the meeting.  I finally got him to hold the meeting after disabling all the clerk's labors, andd waiting until there weren't any 'Harvest Plant's around.  Still, having to fiddle with the clerk's labors every time merhants come around is quite annoying.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broker Uses Any Excuse to Avoid Meeting with Trade Liaso
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

drafting him will also solve the problem.

You can dedraft him after the meeting.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:28:00 am »

You could simply have a dedicated clerk ( Like a peasent ) with no tasks enabled, He'd basicly function like the old nobles. I for one like the change.

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:25:00 am »

I have the same bug except that absolutely nothing will work: when I draft/undraft him, he simply resumes his last task, and when I disable all his jobs, he stands around, "On Break", drinking, sleeping, eating, and, most of the time, simply idling. The liason doesn't want to leave, either, and he simply walks around the fortress.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 05:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by krige:
<STRONG>I have the same bug except that absolutely nothing will work: when I draft/undraft him, he simply resumes his last task, and when I disable all his jobs, he stands around, "On Break", drinking, sleeping, eating, and, most of the time, simply idling. The liason doesn't want to leave, either, and he simply walks around the fortress.</STRONG>

You'd have to leave him drafted I think.

But anyway disabling the other jobs makes him do the meeting, so its just a low priority task and not really a bug. However having said that I would love to be able to rank job importances somewhere, even if just a list of skills that you can change the order of.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by krige:
<STRONG>I have the same bug except that absolutely nothing will work: when I draft/undraft him, he simply resumes his last task, and when I disable all his jobs, he stands around, "On Break", drinking, sleeping, eating, and, most of the time, simply idling. The liason doesn't want to leave, either, and he simply walks around the fortress.</STRONG>

Just maybe, make sure it was the correct dwarf. It NOT the broker that meets with the outpost liason and the merchant guild officials and... Of course, at the start of the game all the tasks are handled by the same dwarf but if you assigned an official broker yourself (and changed nothing else), then you have to make sure you are checking the correct dwarf. That's easy, find the dwarf that is stalked by the outpost liaison itself  :)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

I got him to conduct the meeting by going to the depot and selecting "Broker wanted at depot".
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

I have a hard time getting my broker to trade.  Often, the time I want him to show up at the depot he's like... "I need a nap."  The second he wakes up, "Time for a break!"  Missed a dwarven caravan after a long year of sieging that way.

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mylon:
<STRONG>I have a hard time getting my broker to trade.  Often, the time I want him to show up at the depot he's like... "I need a nap."  The second he wakes up, "Time for a break!"  Missed a dwarven caravan after a long year of sieging that way.</STRONG>

Same problem here, though in my case it was, "I need a nap.  Now, I'm thirsty.  Now, I need a break from all that drinking.  Now, I'm hungry.  Time for a break again!"

I haven't managed to trade with a caravan in almost a year, now.

Patryn of Elvenshae

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

My broker is the same way.  He sleeps and eats and drinks and parties and basically does ANYTHING he can before going out to meet the caravan.  This is not cool!

I was wondering if a third option could be added to the caravan screen:  "Only broker can trade," "Anyone can trade," and "Anyone with relevant skills can trade".  Sometimes I'm afraid of losing the caravan because the broker is busy, but there are a couple of other people with persuasion skills in the fortress and I want one of THEM to do it rather than a random peasant.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:19:00 am »

Just want to pipe up and say that these problems with getting the Broker to actually trade or conduct a meeting (it's way harder than it ought to be), along with the liason-madness bug (from meeting underground and never leaving) are the two biggest things keeping me from playing right now.   :p

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

Gooood lord trading and agreements is not that important.. you can build all kind of crazy cool constructions and have all kinds of dwarves without trading.  Repeatedly crashing and losing all your progress, or running too slow, that's a good reason not to play

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

Sure, it's not that important in itself, but there are other bugs that crazed liasons can trigger, e.g. the horrible slowdown/hang from tantrums bug. I'd just rather not deal with bugs like that, so I'm waiting for the next fix release to continue playing  :)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

Just like to add that you can disable parties by just going to you meeting area and setting it inactive, or going to your statue or whatever and setting it 'free' so there's no statue garden. Get rid of the meeting place and the Attend Party dwarves will go right back to No Job, or actually, you know, do their jobs!

I always, always, always have to shut off my meeting areas when I want my broker to go trade. You have to make sure to reset it later though. With the tantrum bug and all, having an area crammed with golden/platinum statues that all your dwarves can gawk at is quite vital.

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]