Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing?  (Read 647 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing?
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:59:58 am »

Instead of getting angry with my fisher migrant and reassigning him to a new labor, I figure I'd give him a shot.

I searched the whole map and only found a single fish in a murky pool.  I sent my fisherman over to fish by designating the zone and by the time he got there the fish had disappeared.  Are fish likely to appear anywhere else or do I need to wait until I pierce a cavern to put him to work?

Are there any experienced fisher players out there who can advise me on some of the quirks of the industry?
Cage traps are my magma.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:03:01 am »

Wildlife spawns are random, to my knowledge.  You just have to wait.

Unfortunately.

Also, water is dangerous to Dwarves.

Dwarves swim like rocks.  Creatures in the water like how Dwarves taste.  When they try to take a bite out of the dwarf on the shore, the dwarf dodges (sometimes).  Sometimes they dodge into the water. The dwarf then drowns, and makes a lovely snack.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:04:35 am »

You don't have to actually see fish in the pool for it to have fish in it, don't worry about that.  While they can run out each season, generally they replenish at the beginning of the next season.  The type of fish is random, and sometimes nothing will ever be fishable at a given source - I've only seen that in evil biomes though.

Be aware that threatening animals never spawn in pools or brooks, only in deeper rivers.  Ocean and lake animals never come out of the water, unless they're undead versions (evil biomes only) and possibly excepting crocodiles/alligators if your map has those.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:06:36 am by FleshForge »

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:53 am »

Ok, thanks.  Also, didn't know that my fisherman would roam the map by himself without me designating fishing zones.  He keeps finding empty waters.

Are designating fishing zones only for cavern water?
Cage traps are my magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:40:54 am »

Are designating fishing zones only for cavern water?
Designated fishing zones are used when you select 'zone-only fishing' from the (o)rders menu.  When you select zone-only fishing, they'll fish only from zones designated as fishing zones, otherwise they'll fish from any water.  And any actual fish creatures you see in pools or rivers are unconnected to the fishing labor and don't determine where or if you'll actually get any fish.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:37 am »

It's useful to designate fishing zones to keep your fishers from doing retarded things like going 500 steps outside your carefully built wall when there's a perfectly good fishing pond or book that's 25 steps away from your inner keep.  I don't know exactly what logic is used to pick a fishing location if you don't have zones set but it certainly doesn't look for the most convenient place.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 07:45:43 am »

You can set fishing zones to be preferred, or the only source of fishing through the standing (o)rders page. Same with water sources.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:12:22 am by Funtimes »

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:47 am »

Are there any experienced fisher players out there who can advise me on some of the quirks of the industry?

Fishers make good ambush detectors.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:39 am »

You would think with as much alcohol as they drink that dwarves would be incredibly buoyant.

Just a word of advice as well, if you get a highly skilled fisherdwarf going, you will be literally swimming in turtles.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.