Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: General tips for DF2010?  (Read 1872 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: General tips for DF2010?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:49 pm »

Thanks for this thread guys, gave me the courage to start playing DF again.

I want to make a herd of beautiful white cows.

Do animals still reproduce using spores?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:36:07 pm »

Thanks for this thread guys, gave me the courage to start playing DF again.

I want to make a herd of beautiful white cows.

Do animals still reproduce using spores?

Yes.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »

They have some improved range of appearance traits and pass it on to children so if you were especially meticulous you should be able to selectively breed those cows. You'd wanna look at the raws some to see quite what you could influence though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 02:40:01 pm »

Was the military fixed with the last update?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »

Military (including marksdwarves) has been working 90% as intended for some time now.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 03:13:14 pm »

I heard that the 30.15 update's military was broken
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »

Ah, that may be true then. I had no interest in dealing with siege-less sprawl lag so I'm still on .12 for the moment.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »

Can i still cheese the crap out of these enemies with traps?
Yes

Except that if they've seen them once, they know they're there next time, unless you dismantle and rebuild them. That goes double for traps that elf diplomat saw before he left and declared war on you.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »

.16 deals with the lag some and gives us init options to make blood not track around so badly, or rather at all from the sound of it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 06:49:43 pm »

Besides what the people above said:

Military. Get it fast. Train it fast. Not because of siege pressure.

Actually, its because military takes an unreal amount of time to become good (just about realistic).

It takes years and years of game time to get a good military, and you often have less than that.

Military
-Get Fast
-Wooden Weps = Don't use (only for danger rooms)
-Get (real) weapons fast
-Crossbows burn too much wood in the beginning, don't use in beginning
-Siege weps are very very hard to use (dwarves will flee before they use it)
-Steel is almost a requirement (check for flux in embark)
-The weapons that you give your army to train with will have dwarves get attached to them quickly (why no wood weps)
-DANGER ROOMS! NOW! (Only way besides fighting to train armor and shield use) (upright spear traps , wooden spears, one each)
-Don't draft females (possible babies get in way)
-Military morale goes down if you don't give them breaks. One month out of four or five should be enough, with a good bedroom and dining hall
-Having six or so guards rotating in and out of service while watching your entrance is a GOOD IDEA (don't have to be highly trained)
-Entrance that is guard-able by 2-4 (all tiles have a dwarf in or adjacent to them, so no ambush or thief can get through)
-Good hospital is a must when the bigger sieges come in

- Yes, early military is important.
- Yes, training weapons are useless. Wooden "real" weapons are just as useless.
- Quite, even early iron weapons are good. Bronze is better. Steel is really good. Note that bronze colossi cannot be killed with iron swords/axes/spears/etc(it won't cut through bronze).
- What? Crossbows(and bolts) can be made of bone and metal. And crossbows should be made of metal. Silver is best, because of its weight(they're basically hammers that shoot knives).
- Siege weapons being relatively useless has always been the case. In fact, ballistae have been nerfed. Before, a wooden bolt used to disintegrate nearly anything. Now, call it lucky to cause a bruise.
- Very true, being attached to an item means they refuse to un-equip it, even if you order them to pick up something else.
- Don't forget the lever-on-repeat. Cat owners and mothers welcome.
- Always been an issue. On the plus side, free meat shield.
- Not really. I've had them on active duty for years at a time. Even when on duty, they tend to laze about unless they've got specific orders(and even then, they're lazy).
- Chained dogs are just as good. War Elephants or War Giant Eagles are even better.
- Again, dogs. (or elephants. Or Giant Eagles.)
- Good healthcare is more important for stuff from below, than siegers from above.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2]