Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just a few questions from a newbie  (Read 995 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Just a few questions from a newbie
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »

Greetings to all DF players. I, Nighthawk, have found this awesome roguelike, and immediately gone insane with happiness. DF is awesome, but I have a few questions that I cannot find the answer to. I used the search function, but it either pulled up no results or a bunch of random results which did not answer my questions. So, here they are.

Oh, and these all refer to adventure mode, as I tried fortress mode but was utterly baffled. I may try again later.

#1: How do you cook? Or, is it possible to cook anything at all, or is my character doomed to eat raw meat and cold, canned ravioli for the rest of his most likely very short life?

#2: How do you pick berries? I tried pressing 'g', but I only got the option to ignite the plant, and then I went on a rampage burning down a forest. That was fun, but I still want berries, not fire.

#3: I got stuck in a river. I found out how to use alt+arrow key to get in, but it doesn't seem to work to get me out as well. What can I use to get out? Or is it only possible to get out in certain situations?

#4: I can't seem to find any civilizations. I went to an area that was called 'town', but I couldn't locate it in the area. I really want to find some elves, because, from what I've read, they are a lot of fun.

Thanks for anything you guys can offer. I'll keep playing DF, and, hopefully, I'll have lots of fun.  :D

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:19:08 pm »

Greetings to all DF players. I, Nighthawk, have found this awesome roguelike, and immediately gone insane with happiness. DF is awesome, but I have a few questions that I cannot find the answer to. I used the search function, but it either pulled up no results or a bunch of random results which did not answer my questions. So, here they are.

Oh, and these all refer to adventure mode, as I tried fortress mode but was utterly baffled. I may try again later.

#1: How do you cook? Or, is it possible to cook anything at all, or is my character doomed to eat raw meat and cold, canned ravioli for the rest of his most likely very short life?

#2: How do you pick berries? I tried pressing 'g', but I only got the option to ignite the plant, and then I went on a rampage burning down a forest. That was fun, but I still want berries, not fire.

#3: I got stuck in a river. I found out how to use alt+arrow key to get in, but it doesn't seem to work to get me out as well. What can I use to get out? Or is it only possible to get out in certain situations?

#4: I can't seem to find any civilizations. I went to an area that was called 'town', but I couldn't locate it in the area. I really want to find some elves, because, from what I've read, they are a lot of fun.

Thanks for anything you guys can offer. I'll keep playing DF, and, hopefully, I'll have lots of fun.  :D

#1: Some mods like... Genesis maybe? Add reactions under the 'x' menu for things a little like cooking. It's still not great though.

#2: I DON'T KNOW, I wanna know how to do this too!

#3: Never had this happen, sorry bro :\

#4: 31.16 is kind of borked in terms of towns right now. Seriously, if you want towns and not just farm houses with a bunch of mindless drooling people, either get .12 or wait for .17.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »

You can find towns farms in 31.16.

Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not.

I've gotten quests from farmers as well. Well, "a" quest. It was to kill a titan. The same titan mentioned in my signature. :(

They're just farms though with farmers. A couple warriors, but mostly just farmers and farms. Simple wooden buildings. No shops, no real villages of any sort. To this date I believe I've only even located human dwellings, but I didn't really dabble in adventure mode too much yet. Waiting for that big update. :)
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »

1) You can only do this in mods at the moment.

2) Follow the river in one direction. If you're lucky you'll eventually hit a lake or an ocean, which has ramps you can use to get out.

3) Not implemented yet. The focus of the current release cycle is adventure mode stuff, so this'll probably be added sooner rather than later.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »

Thank you!!! I just figured out the river thing. Maybe it was the version I was playing, but now I am playing using the Genesis mod, and I can crawl out of the water just fine. Just killed a random peasant too. Nobody else seemed to care that I was crushing his skull with a scepter. Peasants aren't very high as far as value goes, I guess. I'm sad that I can't pick berries, but oh well. Thanks for the input, guys!

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:24:39 pm »

#4 It seems from my traipsing around in adventure mode that civilizations and the quest-giving mechanic are partly messed up from the new way sprawl and entity populations work.  I haven't been able to find any mead halls in my journeys, which is where you used to pick up your quests.  If you go through the farming sites you can find now with a fine tooth comb, you might come across a flashing sprite.  That sprite is the local leader and he is probably your best bet for getting assigned a quest.  There are supposed to be a nice batch of upgrades in a few releases but for now you might be better off in an older, 40d version of the game that still has mead halls, temples, and shops...but if you go that route you won't have any of 31.xx's endlessly entertaining underground caverns!  Whats an adventurer to do!?

If you can wrap your head around fortress mode, by the way, you can build pretty sweet dungeons for your adventurer to explore!  You can even litter them with traps and treasures to find.