Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unexpected kills  (Read 1130 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unexpected kills
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:38:12 am »

I nearly died laughing when this happened so I need to share. But before I go into my story I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this.

My fort had started to falter and while under siege my military was almost gone. I didn't want to take any risks at this point but I wanted a way that I could poke my head out and have archers take some pot shots at the attackers. This map had a volcano and fortunately the near by hills were shaped as such that if I were to put a small hole in the lip of the volcano it would fill the near by area causing a moat around a small hill. So, through a series of locks I'd sent out Urist McSacrifice expecting that he'd get lava flowing before getting murdered. He managed to do even better than that. By chance he stood in the only spot that would become safe after the lava flow started and dug the channel. The crazy part though was the goblin corpse that just showed up right next to him on the hill side. All I can figure is that a goblin ambush was about to show him his insides but when Urist finished the channel the goblin squad was caught in the new found magma moat. One goblin managed make his way to the shore before dieing where as the rest were only remembered by their magma resistant equipment in the depths of the moat.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected kills
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:30:15 am »

The dwarf miner in question must've been a master of combo hits. As in 147 hits! sort of thing.

Retrieve him so you can turn him into a hero. :)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:06:51 am »

Awesome.

I completely want that save.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:47:26 am »

I'd share a story of mine:
Late 3rd year summer, a human caravan showed up along with some ambushers. About half of the ambushers got caught in my perimeter cage traps including their team leader, so instead of attacking they hang around the cage. I feared that the caravan might head out that way so I sent my ranger to station nearby to potshot at them. I soon found out that he was drinking because he also hauled a barrel along with him. He has all hauling disabled so it must be it. As I noticed so, he passed by a wild elephant calf and promptly killed him in 2 shots then continued to the destination as if nothing happened. Picture this: A dwarf heading to glorious battle, holding a barrel of wine in one hand and casually headshooting an elephant with the other.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:41 pm »

With my first semi-successful military, things were going well.  Not a were set foot on my map ere it was brutally reminded of how my embark party missed their dearly-departed leader.  A caravan showed, I posted my macedwarf squad, and a kobold tripped over a kitten.  One of the macedwarves caught it, only to produce this three-line disgrace of undwarfyness:  Kobold is charged.  Kobold dodges.  Kobold strike the macedwarf in the head!  The severed part flies off in an arc!

In a way, I was thankful to that kobold for culling the unworthy from my fort...  but not so thankful I'd call the rest of the squad off. 

The only other memorable fight I've had (that didn't involve a legendary miner) was that of a migrant whose wave showed up in the middle of a siege.  One migrant was a High Master smith and I decided it was triage time.  The migrants were drafted and some were sent to distract the siegers; the ones with skills I wanted, I tried to herd/micromanage in the opposite direction.  Then I noticed the corpses.  An unarmed farmer had wrestled to death an iron-clad goblin.  And he didn't just luck out by punching its brain in; he dismembered it over pages of combat.  Limbs strewn about and everything.  He did the same to a wolf, and was happily mutilating yet another wolf ("just gigantic with incredible muscles") before I even noticed the gob corpse.  He had a bruised arm or something that healed up before he stopped flashing the migrant X.

The militia captain was quite willing to overlook her new recruit's lack of metallurgic skill.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »

With my first semi-successful military, things were going well.  Not a were set foot on my map ere it was brutally reminded of how my embark party missed their dearly-departed leader.  A caravan showed, I posted my macedwarf squad, and a kobold tripped over a kitten.  One of the macedwarves caught it, only to produce this three-line disgrace of undwarfyness:  Kobold is charged.  Kobold dodges.  Kobold strike the macedwarf in the head!  The severed part flies off in an arc!

In a way, I was thankful to that kobold for culling the unworthy from my fort...  but not so thankful I'd call the rest of the squad off. 

The only other memorable fight I've had (that didn't involve a legendary miner) was that of a migrant whose wave showed up in the middle of a siege.  One migrant was a High Master smith and I decided it was triage time.  The migrants were drafted and some were sent to distract the siegers; the ones with skills I wanted, I tried to herd/micromanage in the opposite direction.  Then I noticed the corpses.  An unarmed farmer had wrestled to death an iron-clad goblin.  And he didn't just luck out by punching its brain in; he dismembered it over pages of combat.  Limbs strewn about and everything.  He did the same to a wolf, and was happily mutilating yet another wolf ("just gigantic with incredible muscles") before I even noticed the gob corpse.  He had a bruised arm or something that healed up before he stopped flashing the migrant X.

The militia captain was quite willing to overlook her new recruit's lack of metallurgic skill.

Make him the chief medical dwarf his understanding of anatomy is incredible.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?