Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post-embark FPS reduction  (Read 812 times)

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
Post-embark FPS reduction
« on: October 05, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »

Everything was going fine until the last two sets of migrants arrived... both of them had 20+migrants, now I'm at around 120 and my FPS is floating between 35 and 15.

I caged all the animals, and began atom-smashing to reduce the crap everyone leaves all over the place.

I have one 3x1 staircase going down about 20 z-levels (caverns were higher than expected), and aside from that a fairly normal fort, no mega-constructions or anything yet.

What kinds of tactics do you normally use to keep your FPS high, or to bring it back up in case of unexpected migrants?

I haven't killed any useless migrants yet, but I'm starting to think that may be my only recourse...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Post-embark FPS reduction
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »

I usually set the init options to keep my population from getting that high. It's not a hard cap, so you have to set it a bit lower than your target, mine is set to 75 or so.

At this point yeah, atomsmash useless stone and you might want to consider turning of weather and temp in the init. Personally don't like turning off temp, but weather seems a smaller sacrifice.

And yes, if you don't need them I say kill 'em.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:12:31 pm »

Don't wait too long to kill useless dwarves though, especially if you need to kill alot of them.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:09 pm »

Do murky pools still refill without weather?  I tried turning off temp but I thought it took too much away and I avoided turning off weather for fear my pools wouldn't refill.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:21:07 pm »

No, they don't. It's a shame (although one that makes sense) and about the only argument for keeping weather on. Also the reason why I'm so picky about an embark with running water.

edit: question: is the fps gain from turning weather off negated by the fps cost of running water?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:23:06 pm by fqllve »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:28:37 pm »

No, they don't. It's a shame (although one that makes sense) and about the only argument for keeping weather on. Also the reason why I'm so picky about an embark with running water.

edit: question: is the fps gain from turning weather off negated by the fps cost of running water?

If it's just a small brook, you will gain more from turning weather off than having weather on but without a brook, but if you have a larger river then you're loosing fps from that quite a bit.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:47:21 pm »

If it's just a small brook, you will gain more from turning weather off than having weather on but without a brook, but if you have a larger river then you're losing fps from that quite a bit.
Fix'd. Despite what it seems like, lose isn't the same as loose.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:29:58 am »

I already have weather turned off, and while temp is an option, it would make it impossible to have Fun with magma (We'll see how it works out, but the plan is more or less, three long one-tile strips are entry to my fort. Lava cistern above, hatches linked to pressure plates, gobbos step on plates and if they don't fall 5 z-levels, they still get horribly burned by magma. Then all I'd have to do is open the caverns to my fisherdwarves)

I have a small brook, but I suppose I'll just try atom-smashing the rock and maybe some migrant haulers while I'm at it.

Next time, a population cap.

Actually, now that I consider it, could I put in a cap at, say, 75 NOW, and no longer receive migrants?

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:40:27 am »

Yeah, you can lower the cap to stop any new migrants, and keep migrants from replacing the dwarves you've, erm, retired.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:12:16 am »

You might also try lowering your g_fps. Which is basically how many frames the game draws as opposed to how many it calculates. It defaults at 50, but I'm betting you could turn it down to 30 or 40. I haven't messed around with it out of wariness though but it seems like it could help a lot. If you do, I'd probably lower my fps cap as well, to double the g_fps, so you don't end up with 8 calculated frames for every one drawn or something terrible like that.

I already have weather turned off, and while temp is an option, it would make it impossible to have Fun with magma

Yeah, temp has too many in game ramifications for it to be worth turning off unless you're really desperate. But you could turn it off until you get you fps back up to manageable levels (although that removes one of your options for getting rid of those immigrants).

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:31:38 am »

You might also try lowering your g_fps. Which is basically how many frames the game draws as opposed to how many it calculates. It defaults at 50, but I'm betting you could turn it down to 30 or 40. I haven't messed around with it out of wariness though but it seems like it could help a lot. If you do, I'd probably lower my fps cap as well, to double the g_fps, so you don't end up with 8 calculated frames for every one drawn or something terrible like that.

I already have weather turned off, and while temp is an option, it would make it impossible to have Fun with magma

Yeah, temp has too many in game ramifications for it to be worth turning off unless you're really desperate. But you could turn it off until you get you fps back up to manageable levels (although that removes one of your options for getting rid of those immigrants).
It becomes difficult to play below about 20 gfps because at higher fps (200-300) some of the faster enemies will jump multiple squares sometimes. as will projectiles.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:56:41 pm »

I've already got my g_fps set at 30, I did manage to lose half my fort improve my FPS a bit today with some help from a goblin siege and two Forgotten Beasts I had, well, forgotten about in my caverns.

I think I'm just going to start harvesting cotton candy... Surely the clowns can help me to reduce my FPS.  :D

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 03:46:41 pm »

I've already got my g_fps set at 30, I did manage to lose half my fort improve my FPS a bit today with some help from a goblin siege and two Forgotten Beasts I had, well, forgotten about in my caverns.

I think I'm just going to start harvesting cotton candy... Surely the clowns can help me to reduce my FPS.  :D
Except with six pages of neverending spawned clowns, your FPS will plummet ;)