Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] choosing mechanisms  (Read 870 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] choosing mechanisms
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Not entirely a bug, but:

Choosing mechanisms for a linkage uses the old-style approach for choosing items, rather than the new-style one that sorts by distance.  I think.  At least, if it sorts by distance, it doesn't display it.

To choose the mechanism in the lever, this "should be" "just" "simple" code "reuse."

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] choosing mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

I think this one was somewhat messier because you have 2 locations to sort for. It should still be doable, but I'm guessing that was why it didn't get done at the same time as everything else.

Maybe it could have 2 completely separate 'select an object' dialogs rather than a 'select 2 of' dialog?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

Right; so choosing the mechanism in the target might be a bit painful codewise.  Even if that one has all wrong numbers, having numbers at all would be an improvement.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:32:00 am »

Using two dialogues would also make it more clear which mechanism is applied to which device, which can be important when you have to import your bauxite.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Using two dialogues would also make it more clear which mechanism is applied to which device, which can be important when you have to import your bauxite.</STRONG>

Isn't that exactly how it is now?  You choose a mechanism for the target, then you  choose a mechanism for the lever.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>Isn't that exactly how it is now?  You choose a mechanism for the target, then you  choose a mechanism for the lever.</STRONG>

Nope, it shows you a list and says "pick 2"

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Nope, it shows you a list and says "pick 2"</STRONG>

I see a list of bridges, then a list of mechanisms to choose one for the target; then a list of mechanisms to choose one for the lever.  Much like when building a screw pump you see a choice of corkscrews, then a choice of tubes, then a choice of blocks.  I never see the 2/2 thing, and that would just be wrong.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Indeed, if you pay attention it tells you at the bottom of the selection screen what piece you're choosing for.
att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.