Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandon is for Wussies  (Read 1440 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
Abandon is for Wussies
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:12:28 pm »

We all get bored of our forts sometimes, and feel the need to end them. Thankfully, the game provides a quick and easy way to do this in abandoning. But sometimes it just seems a little boring, y'know?

Ever decide to just kill everyone rather than abandon? Share your stories of suicidal genocide/genocidal suicide.

Just today, I attempted to make a fort comprised entirely of treehouses, the trees themselves consisting of tall wooden pillars. I got bored of it once it got hard. One of my starting dwarves had already got himself drowned trying to get a drink. After such a display of stupidity, I knew my task would be simple. I build a few tiles of wood over a pool. I set the end as a burrow for 5 of my 6 dwarves. Only 1 bothered going, but I had it collapsed anyway. 2 down. Remaining I had an expedition leader, a miner, a woodcutter, a farmer and a hunter. I tried to pull the same trick. They all eventually gathered on my little suicide bridge. Then my woodcutter went berserk. He killed the hunter instantly, then the rest of them ran for the hills. I think it was the farmer to fall next, then the miner. By now, the berserker is tired and hungry, so my expedition leader has time to get back to his suicide bridge and start engineering his own doom. As he is about to complete his task, the woodcutter dies of thirst. The captain, finally, goes down with his fort.

So, how do you engineer the deaths of every sentient being in a settlement the construction of which you guided?

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
Re: Abandon is for Wussies
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:16:24 pm »

Nothing quite so extravagant as that, I cancelled all jobs, and told my dwarfs ro haul all my booze from one stockpile to another, I then had my AI release magma into the hallway, flooding my fort with Boiling Booze. My AI eventually starved to death.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »

Urist McMayor : Pull that lever.
Edib McPeasant : But Lord Mayor, that's...
Urist McMayor : Do as you're told!
Edib McPeasant : Yes my lord!

(Edib McPeasant pulls lever)

(Drawbridge is lowered)

(Forgotten Beast is allowed entry into the fortress)

Fun times ensue.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:39:46 pm »

I once flooded my fortress since I built it right up next to an ocean.  It ended up being very hard to get them all to be dead, and I got a wave of immigrants in the middle so I finally gave up trying.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »

I did... nothing.

A Voracious Cave Crawler wandered into my fortress by a path I cannot find myself, ate five dwarfs and permanently crippled three more before it was taken down.

The resulting tantrum spiral, combined with my late realization that my barrels were storing too many plump helmets to be used for booze, killed the next 60.

I gave up on the remaining 18, sealed the fortress, and never looked back.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:50:04 pm »

Collapsed the whole fortress into the magma sea.
It was FUN watching those little guys getting burned up with all the *Gold Ring*s.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »

Send everyone inside, raise the drawbridge, pierce hell.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

I sometimes seal all entrances to the fort, set all the food production places to a repeated task of making lavish meals/booze and just see how long it takes for them to burn out. It's cool watching the tantrum spirals set in as the dorfs realise there is no way out *evil smile*
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:22:25 pm »

What do they tantrum about?

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:57:39 pm »

I just break the dam and release the river and watch as the filth of Sauroman Armok is washed away.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:44:46 pm »

I let a siege of demon spiders devour my fort. Spiders webs all over the place, the children herded into the dining hall and slowly eaten one by one, the mayor standing tragically in the middle of the main hallway, helpless as his people died around him and finally dying himself, but the captain of the guard, who was a retired hero of many battles, died last, alone in his bedroom, crippled by his unhealed injuries, as the enemy finally came for him.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 04:51:29 am »

I would abandon any of my fortresses if I ever got bored with them. Thing is, though, that stage is never reached as in time they always get destroyed on their own. That doesn't mean I don't stick around to watch what happens.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 05:00:52 am »

I just break the dam and release the river and watch as the filth of Sauroman Armok is washed away.
For good measure.

I usually seal it and flood it, or breach HFS.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.