Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Built Ramps unlinking when frozen and then thawed  (Read 520 times)

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Built Ramps unlinking when frozen and then thawed
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

Building an aqueduct from the valley up into my mountain home, I prematurely triggered the first level to see if it would flow properly. It did, collecting within the constructed corridor and spilling down a ramp where I did not fully enclose it.

Then mid-winter hit and the water, 2 and 3 deep in the corridor and 2/1 on the ground, froze solid. After a few weeks of absolutely no liquid, it thawed out and my grateful dwarves rushed out to drink their fill. That was a side issue, though.

The spilled-down ramp was unlinked with the upper level. Meaning I could go up, but could not get back down. Which caused me trouble when I completed the wall there and my mason spammed error messages at me when he got stuck.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Built Ramps unlinking when frozen and then thawed
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:04:00 pm »

It's probably going to depend on the layout somewhat, which I can't picture from the words.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

Alright, let's see if my ASCII is up to snuff...

code:

Setup
==0+|
++++|
===+0
  +
  D

Water runs from the north, following path. Since I did not close the wall off to the south, it runs down the down ramp, D. At the moment when the "great freeze" hit in Winter, I'm guessing it was 2/7 deep at the bottom of the ramp because it was completely occluded by the ice.

At the thaw, the up ramp was still there and would let dwarves go up. The down ramp, however, had disappeared entirely from the picture. So if I sent a dwarf up to finish the wall, he would be able to complete it but would get stuck.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

Okay, I think the bug makes sense now...  maybe.  I'll have to mess around with it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!