Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Tiles with constructions are not warmed by magma  (Read 620 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
40d: Tiles with constructions are not warmed by magma
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:27:12 am »

I created a water generator for Sparkgear 7, complete with a magma chamber overhead serving to heat the path to the water's destination. Everything is functional (despite the generator itself being a bug exploit) except the path. All of the tiles are warmed and allow water to pass except the one containing the floodgate. I surmise the reason is that I built the floodgate first (out of necessity) and then pumped the magma in overhead. When the floodgate is opened, the tile still remains unheated and freezes all water attempting to pass.

When the floodgate was deconstructed, the tile was still not heated. This leads me to believe tiles are only heated once by magma and no check is made again. Combined with the bug where the floodgate tile was not heated, this has gummed up our water generator.

Of course a solution will be found, but it was a heck of a letdown.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Tiles with constructions are not warmed by magma
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:15:59 pm »

You might try installing a pump to remove magma from above the floodgate's position. I've a hunch that if you set the amount of magma in there to 0 for one tick (as a pump will) then when it flows back in, heat will trigger properly.

I take it the water generator involves freezing small amounts of water and then melting it into 7/7 depth?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »

Ah, I'd love to brag about my design. Rather than an overcomplicated mess that doesn't really work, mine is a thing of beauty...

4 levels. Level 1: 7/7 magma. Level 2: no floor, migrating tiles of 1/7 magma. Level 3: stone floor, ice. Level 4: the important level, a constructed magma reservoir which permanently heats a section of the water machine and also heats the path to the heated barracks located over another magma reservoir.

This is what I used to bring permanent water supply to Sparkgear. After using an ice drop to finally give temporary water to all the soldiers they'd left for dead.
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:51 pm »

Oh yes, and it appears the bug can be fixed by channeling an adjacent square, altering the magma flow beneath it and causing the game to check again to see if it's heated. It is so finicky and does so many odd unexpected things (squares on a warm level suddenly freezing when the floor in a heated tile on a frozen level above is channeled out, for instance) that there is no way to really know what is going to happen.

In short, the generator works. But the actual definition of this bug should be: "The usual weird thing with water/ice/warmtiles/magma not doing what it's supposed to"
The sigs topic: