Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River meetings at different Z-levels strange  (Read 861 times)

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River meetings at different Z-levels strange
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

Right now, whenever two rivers meet at different altitudes, they join up in a strange fashion. When higher rivers join a lower river they bring a sort of plateau out with them, jutting unnaturally out into the deep river's canyon. The lower river carves a razor-sharp crack through this plateau, and the higher river runs down the center of the plateau until it meets the chasm and drops all the way down to join the deep river.

It seems like what ought to be happening is that the deep river valley is superimposed onto the higher river's terrain, so the land just drops off into the deep valley without the plateau, and the higher river drops into the canyon at the normal edge, then flows along the bottom a bit before reaching the lower river.

You can see what I mean by finding a deep river canyon on any world, then looking at where higher-up rivers join it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River meetings at different Z-levels strange
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

Screenshots would be nice.  I'm having trouble immagining it.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

It's very easy to reproduce, just find any deep river canyon, then look for regions where tributaries join it, and find a tributary that is much higher than the main river.

Here's the views of a site with this from the site selection:

And here's the actual terrain:
Highest Z-Level
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-22-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-21-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-20-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-19-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-18-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-17-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-16-region1- 1051-1.png  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/Neo-Bahamut/DF%20Maps/Earthbald-15-region1- 1051-1.png
Lowest Z-level

This particular site shows the problem twice, for each of the tributaries.

It kind of looks cool, but it also looks totally unrealistic. You'd expect the big river that carved that deep canyon to also carve out those spurs of land the tributaries come over on, right?

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

The problem, if I understand you correctly, is that the main river isn't eroding the geology around it properly.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

This problem is still around (in version 38c), didn't see it in the buglist so I thought I would mention it again, and my old thread was still here.

Anyway, it seems like a problem with world generation. The game seems to consider the altitude of higher rivers higher priority than the altitude of lower rivers, when two rivers overlap eroded areas. It ought to be the other way around, with lower rivers taking priority, and higher rivers emptying into the lower river's valley at the rim.

[ May 12, 2008: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

I totally want to play that map!

There should be a file called: world_gen_param-region1.txt in your DF folder.  Can you give me the numbers and the location for that formation?  If you have another file called: Earthbald-param-region1-xxxx-yyyy.txt I would like to know x and y please.

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Sorry, that map is from quite a few months ago, and I have a habit of deleting my old worlds when I move to a new one. However, it's pretty easy to find a map like that if you have a decent sized river. Find a point on the river where it carves out a decently deep canyon (by using the cliff view and the relative height view), then look for an area where it is joined by two tributaries, and it should end up looking like the map I posted above.

Also, if you have a computer that could actually play a map like that at a decent speed, consider me impressed.

[ May 12, 2008: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

I really haven't had many issues with DF performance unless I'm doing some freaky water manipulation.  It's only a Core2Duo 2.6Ghz with 4G of O/C'd memory (845Mhz) but it's been good for me in DF.  I'd likely shrink the Y coordinate a few notches and play in the valley area though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

I have also seen this.

Rivers don't correctly corrode area's.  So a river that starts in a valley that happens to be inside a mountain range does strange things while flowing out.  12 Z level drops, anyone?

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:00 am »

If this thread is alive again, I'll bring back the weirness I encountered when "four" rivers meet in the same tile.

I forget exactly what the world map looked like (I think it was a veritable square, with each river coming in from a different direction), but in game there was a ~25 z-level drop from where the wagon was (next to a very short spurt of river) to the rest of the map where the entire semi-circular basin was filled with water.  The Map simply couldn't tell where river ended and land began again, nor how high they should be.

There may have been some erosion stuff like mentioned in this thread, I don't remember.  I still have the world, but the wagon is currently in the area so I didn't forget what world that one was.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>I have also seen this.

Rivers don't correctly corrode area's.  So a river that starts in a valley that happens to be inside a mountain range does strange things while flowing out.  12 Z level drops, anyone?</STRONG>

I just noticed this as well, a brook coming out of a high mountain plateau off a steep mountainside sort of carried the plateau's elevation with it out over the lowlands, creating a giant wall of land out to the edge of the map with the water running on top.
It occurred to me that I don't think I've ever seen a river react properly to a drop off, so no waterfalls down normal mountainsides and such. The only waterfalls I've seen have been the ones that happen when the tributaries dump directly onto the larger river in the situation in my original post.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

Definitely a bug, but an interesting one.  I've seen 30 z-level drops on those uneroded river spurs.  That's a LOT of carveable space, people!
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.