Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor strenght  (Read 932 times)

Tfafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor strenght
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:13:02 am »

How much do cloaks/trousers/hoods/mittens/gloves add to the armor of your military dwarves when compared with a full steel suit?
And how much of a difference is there between cloth, leather and silk for those item?

I've been trying to get my military dwarves to wear the maximum amount of armor possible, but getting them to wear non metal armor sometimes results in them forgetting to put on the actual steel armor, so I'd like to know how much of their defense I'd be sacrificing if I just limit them to the steel items.

Also has anyone managed to convince a dwarf to wear both a cap and a helmet? The wiki lists the optimum combination as 2 caps + helmet, but my dwarves refuse to equip that.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor strenght
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:01:06 am »

This wiki article details most everything that is currently known about armor, including the rules on how much can be equipped, so it should help you figure out your optimal equipment setup.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armour

As to material, it's extremely important. You want at least leather (preferably chain) of the highest quality.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:21:00 pm »

Also, it helps to set the uniforms to 'replace clothing' rather than wear over, and 'exact matches' instead of partial.
Otherwise, clothing layers may prevent some equipment (especially when over-equipping) and partial matches will often have them pick up crap gear instead of the desired if they can't find the specified, which they will then wear for extreme lengths of time and possibly become attached, rather than immediately gearing in steel.

I find that over-armoring doesn't seem to help much, if at all, but actually hurts drastically by lowering their speed.
I find the optimal is:
Hood (Covers ears and head)
Helm (Covers ears and head)
Cap (Covers head)

Cloak (Seems to cover entire body from the read or sides)
Mail Shirt (covers upper and lower body, and arms to the elbow)
Breastplate (Covers upper torso)

Gauntlets (Covers hands and lower arms)
Mittens (Covers hands)

Greaves (Covers legs, but not knees)
Trousers (Covers legs and knees)

High Boots (Covers lower legs and feet)
Socks (Covers feet)

Shield (Covers entire front with max skill)
Weapon of choice

Tfafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »

I'm still having problems equipping both a cap and a helmet. I'll have to try it with a cloth/leather cap instead of a steel one. I hope it will help.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:21:34 pm »

Anything that's not metal is not worth bothering with. So mittens and trousers and socks? yeah, don't worry about that, it won't make a difference.

The exception is cloaks, since they cover parts you can't armor any other way (the throat being the most important). However, even leather cloaks seem to provide basically no protection so these days I don't usually bother. I've yet to test hidden fun material cloaks (since you can't equip them in the testing arena and my forts are always intolerably laggy by the time I get it normally) but theoretically they should provide worthwhile protection.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:33:55 pm »

Cotton candy... EVERYTHING.

I found it yesterday... and I may be a bit prodigious with my use of it.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »

I should note that you should AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE wearing socks, trousers, cloaks, etc. made from leather and plant fabrics if dealing with !!FIRE!!

Or it will be very !!FUN!!

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 05:06:30 pm »

Who needs armor when you have those meatshields called elves?
i like goats

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 05:08:12 pm »

What about when it's the treehumpers who're attacking you?
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:10:44 pm »

It sounds like Adamantine cloaks might actually be retardedly useful.  Anyone ever done any testing with them?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 05:11:12 pm »

What about when it's the treehumpers who're attacking you?

Release the dogs of War!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Tfafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »

Why expose the poor dogs to actual combat? Just use those steel tipped ballista bolts :)   (at least until they fix animal healthcare - I wouldn't mind training my doctors on expendable patients)

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »

All my animals died in the unfortunate incident, known only as 'ZOMGIJUSTRELEASEDMAGMAINTOMYBOOZESTOCKPILEWHICHISRIGHTINTHEMIDDLEOFMYMEETINGAREA!!!'
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »

I believe the cloak and robe are currently broken, they are too good; the system spreads incoming damage onto their large surface.
One can try 30 robe and mace dwarves versus 30 tunic+trousers+mace dwarves in the arena.

Anyways, if you remove socks and mittens from the dwarf civ, the world will be a tiny little bit faster, less socks to haul.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884