Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vegan Soap  (Read 719 times)

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vegan Soap
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:35:00 pm »

In an attempt to create, well, vegan soap for my dwarves, I seem to have started running into problems.  What I have gotten to work is creating a fat/tallow product through processing a plant.  Unfortunately, from there I run into roadblocks.  At first when I attempted to render the fat into tallow, it turned into black bear fat.  Now, I think I figured out how to stop that, buuuut...

Currently the extract has these tags in it to try to make it count as tallow:
[REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SOAP]

...having "LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT" seems to result in black bears.

Unfortunately, that doesn't actually work, and while a soaper can process the thing and create soap with it... the resultant product is not soap.  It is a "plant" and does not actually function as soap, rather it seems to behave more akin to a log.  (My carpenters can use it as such, anyway.)

I'm suspicious what I have to do is create an entirely new reaction to create the appropriate result--also because I'd prefer my vegan soaps to not [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL], but I'm not entirely sure.  So anyone know anything here?  (/anything i can clarify to help people figure out what's going on?)

EDIT: Further testing shows that actually these "plants" don't count as logs, as carpenters can't make furniture from them, but they can make walls from them.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
Re: Vegan Soap
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:25 pm »

Instead of trying to make tallow from the plant, make an alternate soap reaction that goes directly from  the plant

You are:

Plant  =>  Tallow =>  Soap

Try:

Plant => Soap

With a new reaction to a custom soap, so it doesn't give you black bear tallow soap (which appears to be a default...)

I'm no pro modding, so this may be all bogus though...
Meowth! That's right!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:28:40 pm »

That looks like it might work.  Looking through reaction information I noticed that all creatures typically get soap and tallow materials automatically created in their templates, too, so I'm thinking possibly define a SOAP material for the plant.

...will attempt to try this.

Okay, I seem to have resolved this: adding [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SOAP:SOAP_TEMPLATE] to the plant solved the problem.

It seems the issue was it was looking for the plants soap, finding nothing, and so it used the structural material instead.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:04:55 pm by Emily »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 08:07:37 pm »

My mod has this. You can make soap from certain plants like plump helmets and valley herbs.
くコ:彡