Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game crashing while saving?  (Read 450 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game crashing while saving?
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:20 pm »

So, my dwarf fort just started acting up. When I try to save, it freezes for a while (like, longer than usual), then COMODO firewall pops up with a message saying that something is trying to do something (can't remember exactly what it says, but it didn't do this before) and then the usual "DF has crashed, blah, blah. Send error report?".  It happened twice already (after the first time, I was able to load it normally again, but I haven't tried to load it from the second time). What is going on here?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashing while saving?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:18:17 am »

There's a known crash bug during the "Cleaning objects" phase of saving. The saves all appear to work after the crash but so far there's no really understanding for what's causing the crash. My best guess? There's some element of the game that gets stored into memory but can't be removed by the game, so the game hangs. But at that point, it's already made a copy of all the elements onto disk.

There are some reports that it'll resolve itself after a while. It's most often fortress specific.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:13:32 am »

So, it's nothing serious?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:58:21 am »

It happens to me pretty often, but my saves all work fine. It's annoying, yes, but not a big deal.