Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game won't start  (Read 746 times)

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game won't start
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:26:00 am »

Hi.  Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't get the game to start - I get an error saying: 'Main Index file missing / corrupted'.  For the record, all I've done is download the zip file and extract the contents to a separate folder, then double click the exe file.  Am I missing something obvious here?

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game won't start
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:58:00 am »

Unpacked with what? You need to keep the directory structure from the zip, some ancien tools do not do this by default. If you don't have a (yourpath)/data/index file, that's the problem.
Alternatively, if you're running through a windows (not) emulator, then that's likely the problem.

Note, getting answers to problems is easier when you actually supply relevant details straight up.

X

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »

I've used winzip and just dragged the files as they appear into a separate folder I've created on my desktop.  I then double click on the exe file in the folder and get the error message I've described.

I'm running windows xp.  Not sure what else I need to describe, but any help would be appreciated - no doubt I'm doing something wrong here...

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:24:00 pm »

Okay, I've checked, and I have no Index file under the data folder.  But then when I look a the zipped files, there's no folder hierarchy at all, they're just all at one level.  Can anyone help?

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »

Ok, I've got it working.  Embarrassingly easy to fix.  I'm off to find a corner to hide in.