Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starpoint Gemini 2  (Read 4516 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starpoint Gemini 2
« on: September 28, 2014, 06:50:42 am »

I did a search for this, but the only thread that came up was for Startpoint Gemini (the first game), and the last post was over four years ago.  So, different game, I figured it warranted a different thread!  :P

Anybody been playing this yet?  It came out of Early Access recently and I bought it on the strength of a friend's comments and some Let's Plays of the EA version...and I have to say, so far I'm enjoying it.  It's got some of the old Freelancer vibe to it, and feels sufficiently shiny and the universe is alive enough (I'm looking at you, X Rebirth) that it does scratch some of that itch.

I'm only a few hours into the game, so it may become amazing or awful from this point on, but early view is good.  Voice-acting in the main campaign could use some work, but then that's pretty standard in the genre (anyone remember Saya Kho's introduction in X2?)

Main SG2 Website: [linky]
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starpoint Gemini 2
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:05:04 am »

I have my eye on this as nearly all the early access feedback on the Steam forums was positive, which is somewhat unusual for Steam. 

If post-release feedback is similarly positive I plan to pick it up at some point (so, ptw).

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:10 am »

I was originally watching it because it bills as a space trading game (in part).  But watching the dev interviews, it seems that part is sort of half hearted or perfunctory.

There are two others in dev now that look much more interesting and innovative on the trade and economic side.

I'll find their names when I'm not using my phone to post.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:55:26 am »

Yeah, I'm rather curious as to the quality of this too. I don't think I had heard of it before yesterday; which is weird, since it's generally a genre I keep up to date on.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »

Here, found them.  These are links to the dev blog posts describing some interesting trade mechanics in a couple of upcoming games:

Starsector:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/tag/trade/

Void Expanse:

http://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1068

Starsector looks like the better of the two, but even Void Expanse seems like they put a little more effort into it than SG2.  I think both of these are available to play as early access, and there are threads for them here in this forum where I think the devs post.

I was watching this dev interview and game play through for SG2 where the interviewer was asking about trade.  The answer was basically that it was in the game, but wasnt a major focus and isnt as fleshed out as games that have a heavier economic focus, but you can still buy and sell things.

I was pretty much exclusively interested in SG2 for the economic side, so that made my decision for me.  For a EV style top down space shooter though, I guess it might be a nice break from NAEV.  Then again, I think I could get all that and more from either of the above mentioned games.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:14:15 pm »

I played it for about an hour.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't even know how good my ship is.

The tutorial is just a series of words you probably won't understand, it's pretty hard to learn anything from it.

I flew around for a bit then clicked the map. I saw there were things on the map so I clicked on them and that made me accept missions. So I went to the locations for the missions and enemies died without me really doing anything. Then it gave me money.

I did this a few more times then got bored.

Maybe someone needs to tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do.

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:59:23 pm »

Picked this up this morning, played for ~5 hours so far.

Pretty good I think, reminds me a little bit of freelancer, which is what I was hoping for really.

The voice acting is pretty bad and the UI could use some work. I came across a few buttons that did not seem to function when clicked so there's that.

The learning curve is gentle, which is nice. If you play the campaign mode it walks you through most of the early steps and you always have a new story mission to chase when you get tired of doing random missions/trading.

I haven't messed with mining/trading yet, so I dunno if it's any good, but it's there I guess.

It appears that there's pretty good mod support too if you're into that.

Good enough to recommend IMO. Shooting pirates is fun.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:37:58 am »

Starpoint Gemini 2 is surprisingly good.  The original SG was pretty underwhelming, but the devs learned (for once,) and ended up making a pretty good game here.  It's a Eastern European dev, so the localisation is abit iffy, but the engine is solid and there's mod support, so there's plenty of room to patch that.

It could turn out to be one of the best tactical space CRPG's out there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:45:20 am by ConscriptFive »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:27:40 am »

Ive played it some and here a good tip. Keep that starter ship, don't trade it in for something bigger, you may not like the sudden required change of playstyle. While corvettes and frigates are more powerful than your starting gunship, they're also much harder to use effectively. They are big targets and WILL get hit a lot, trivial corvettes which you could take 3-4 of in a knife-fight before will tear through a frigate's shielding within 5 seconds at close range. Make sure to have proper upgrades, weaponry, and know how to manage your distance before getting the bigger ships.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:30:09 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 07:11:16 am »

What class do you all use? Is Commander useful yet? Can we lead multiple ships?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »

After playing this for a while, I can't really see why I would keep playing this over X:Terran Conflict.

It look similar, simpler combat mechanics, simpler commerce, no player owned stations, super boring missions(X has those too, except here there is not much else to do), no time compression, randomly spawning NPC ships everywhere all the time, weird leveling system that add nothing to the game.

There is some amazingly bad UI decision too, like the targeting info being invisible if you don't look directly at the target.

It has some potential, but in it's current state there is simply not much to do. To be fair X had a lot of time to improve, but this game still need to do at least something better to keep some interest to it.