Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vanilla Graphics for DF Mac  (Read 2128 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vanilla Graphics for DF Mac
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:05:39 am »

Hello everybody.

So, my school requires we bring a Macbook to school. Naturally, I've downloaded DF in here so I can do something other than pick my nails during Humanities. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get graphics in, and that's actually OK with me (other than how the blue colored craftdwarves and axegobbos hurt my eyes). The ASCII graphics are OK, that is, until my friends peek over my shoulder and start judging the graphics or comment on how they didn't know I was into programming.

I'm quite sick of that. So, if there are no pre-packed graphics out there, then fine! I'll pack em' in myself! (unless, you know, there actually are pre-packed graphics for mac users. Which in that case, screw what I just said and point me and my lazy ass to the right forum thread  :P )

So, to pack in the graphics, how do I do that? I know how to put in the unit graphics, but no idea how to pack in the trees, ground and the walls etc. A semi-full guide on how to do that, or a link to somewhere is appreciated.

And this DOES count as something appropriate modding area, doesn't it?  ???
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:10:34 am by Pan »

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Graphics for DF Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:17:08 am »

I recommend downloading just the graphics, as there are no prepacked graphics for mac I am aware off. Once you do so copy the graphics into  /raw/graphics/ and then delete the original example graphics and example graphics.txt that should be there. One you do so, find the fullfont (alphabet) of the graphics pack and then copy them to /data/art/  then go to data/init/ and change the init.txt to have [GRAPHICS:YES] and change the [GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:] to the graphics alphabet you copied into /data/art/ earlier on.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:32:42 am »

I recommend downloading just the graphics ... copy the graphics into  /raw/graphics/ and then delete the original example graphics and example graphics.txt ...
Thanks. That would be the unit graphics.

...find the fullfont (alphabet) of the graphics pack and then copy them to /data/art/  then go to data/init/ and change the init.txt to have [GRAPHICS:YES] ...

The fullfont of the graphic pack? I checked the ASCII data/art area, and I did see a file with the alphabet called font.ttf. That would be it? Checked and I got it. The one in ASCII would be called 'curses_square_16x16.png', yes?

...change the [GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:] to the graphics alphabet you copied into /data/art/ earlier on.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means...

I checked and I got it. Change the ASCII file name (GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png) to the one I replaced with graphics. Do I do the same with [GRAPHICS_FONR:curses_square_16x16.png] as well? Cuz that also has the original ASCII graphic file's name on it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:34:24 am by Pan »

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:40:04 am »

I checked and I got it. Change the ASCII file name (GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png) to the one I replaced with graphics. Do I do the same with [GRAPHICS_FONR:curses_square_16x16.png] as well? Cuz that also has the original ASCII graphic file's name on it.
Yep, change both. What graphics pack did you download? For me it would be Phoebus, and yes you do change both,

[GRAPHICS:YES]

[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]

[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]

[GRAPHICS_FONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]

[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]

[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]

[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]

[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

I also recommend this graphics tileset, http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2430 all credit goes to Phoebus for making a great pack.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:01:17 am »

Yep, change both. What graphics pack did you download? For me it would be Phoebus, and yes you do change both,

[GRAPHICS:YES]

[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]

[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]

[GRAPHICS_FONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]

[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]

[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]

[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]

[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

I also recommend this graphics tileset, http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2430 all credit goes to Phoebus for making a great pack.

I was considering Ironhand, actually. No offense to Phoebus', though. Both are great, but you gotta pick one, and I guess the dwarf graphics for Ironhand's won me over. Sorta reminds me of the dwarves from the game Overlord: a drunk, armored, short, bearded killing machine.

Anyway, thanks of the help.  :)

slipkoltem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »

Thank you so much everybody for all the help.
Sorry if it was a dumb question, but Im really bad with the whole modding thing.

Also, thanks for a great graphics set Phoebus!

slipkoltem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:23:26 pm »

oops.
Sorry, posted on the wrong topic.